Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Tranny Toast?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Default Tranny Toast?!?

Well here is the story...I was driving home from school about a 2 hr drive. I noticed some surging/jerking while on the freeway around 1700-3500 RPM. Thought it was my CAT going or an ignition problem...the thing was I was not getting any trouble codes. So then i thought it may be the tranny mounts popped the hood and crawled under the car to check those...the tranny and motor mounts were fine. Drove around all day and I didnt have any problems. I left the house drove down the road about a mile...got to a stop sign, when I hit the gas and it felt like my tires were spinning, took my foot off the gas and hit it again and went down the road fine...next stop sign when I hit the gas i heard a whine and then a lil grind and then my engine reving up to about 5k...the thing was smoked, not even bad sliping it was just gone, shifted through all the gears and nothing and then my engine stalled weird...but it I shut the car off and start it again the tranny will grab a little bit for about 10 sec and then it stops. Should get it in the shop tomorrow to see what exactly happend to her...I dont know what could have gone that fast it was very weird...anyone here have any ideas or had this happen to them before?

Old 10-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Default RE: Tranny Toast?!?

[X(]Jason, I feel your pain[X(]

How many miles on your Monte ?
Did you ever have the trans serviced (Fluid- filter changed ? )

My friend had a similar prob with his transmission & it ended up
to be a clogged trasmission line from lack of maintenance.

Wish you Good Luck!
`Space

Old 10-30-2006, 03:30 PM

I just got the car 4 months ago, I have put on almost 5k miles on her already putting her at 87k, I have not changed the filter or fluid at all. I know this may be ignorance biting me in the *** but I thought the owners manual said to flush and such at 100k. What was the final verdict on your buddys car, was the clogged line cleared out or did the tranny need to be rebuilt/replaced? And was your buddys car a monte as well? Thanks for the info.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:59 AM

`Jason, my friends car was a 2000 Ford Taurus with 77K miles.
He had his transmission flushed, new fluid & filter. I just talked
to him & he said he paid around $150. He said the trans was not
the same after his problem (but worked). He drove it for another 4K miles & then traded it for a Honda : )

I hope that one of the members. that is a GM tech will read your post
& give more detailed infor on your problem. Wish you good luck &
hope that it can be repaired at a resonable price.
`Space

Old 11-01-2006, 05:12 AM

depending on how the other people drove it before you, sounds like the clutchs and disc are fried, rebuilt is going to cost you around 1500-2000 , also check your fluid levels weekly

Old 11-27-2006, 12:36 PM

I got my baby back this past weekend, $1100 for the rebuild. The guy told me it was the differential that went bad. I dont really know much about trannys but he said that there is a pin assembly that hold the diff together and that assembly has locking clips on either end, these clips broke and allowed the pin to float. Which in turn let the diff float apart and not mesh properly. He said that he regularly builds the 4t65e tranny around 60k and said that I was lucky to get the 87k that I did.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 PM

Too bad he didn't tell you that before he finished the rebuild. It would have been a great time to dump the extra cash in to make it a Heavy Duty transmission.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:06 AM

i would have def went for a more high performance one cuz itz worth it

Old 12-03-2006, 10:19 PM

Yeah I know, I had actually asked the guy about putting a shift kit in and he said that he definitly recomended NOT putting a shift kit in, and he would not waranty it if he did. Since he was doin the job for about $800 cheaper than anyone else and he was a friend of the family I couldnt really argue with the guy. But I will most likely get one anyway somewhere down the road after the waranty runs out and put it in myself.