Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Heat extractor and Engine cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Default Heat extractor and Engine cooling?

I'm looking for a way to cool the engine by extracting the heat from the engine bay. Are there any minor things I can do. I've taken the engine cover off to help a bit. but I'm looking more for a heat extractor hood (I know one doesn't exist for our cars but thinking of making one somehow) or tips on how to do what I'm wanting. I've been told I can remove the weather strip at the back of the bay to help some but I kinda figure it was put there for a reason. Would removing it help, is it necessary to be there, or would it make no difference.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Default RE: Heat extractor and Engine cooling?

There's a school of thought out there that removing the weather stripping will help cool... it is party true, but it will only help some heat escape from the top... however, the heat on the rear manifold will increase, creating alot of heat on the rear bank, since the flow of air goes up and out instead of across and down the engine.

Best way to increase engine cooling is to have more efficient coolant, and a good radiator. Having your PCM tuned for a 180* thermostat, and the fans going on earlier than stock can really help with that. If your climate never goes below freezing, you can use a 15-25% coolant to 75-85% water with some water wetter. This can help too. If you do that, ensure you get a good flush, and get that Dexkill out of there.