Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

And so it begins...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Default And so it begins...

So, here we go. For the first time on MCF, I am asking for advice, not giving it..

I installed my TOG headers yesterday, great accel and pickup... but we have a problem here... Misfires...

I scanned my car, only after dropping my new Autolite 104's gapped to .51 and installed my new PRJ performance wires, everything went together seamlessly.. had them changed in less than 10 minutes...

Now I am getting misfire codes in certain cylinders... 2 and 5 get maybe 2-3 blips only on really long decels, and cylinder 3 got 16 at one point. So I was like WOW, need to check the connections, and the gap. Did that, Still .51. Connections are still good...

Recommendations?

-Keegan

Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Default RE: And so it begins...

might wanna reprogram your puter to let it know you're running headers now?? perhaps i am not sure ATM just a suggestion

Old 11-09-2007, 06:29 PM

99.9% sure that your coil is bad.. and probably would be a good idea to replace the module at the same time.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:36 PM

Check the resistance of the coil 1st to be sure.. 5k - 8k ohms is the spec.. just from one post to the one next to it.. or make sure that the wires don't have a high amount of resistance (more than 3k ohms per ft)

Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Well I aim to re-gap my plugs, as I have had a few people tell me that they are too close, and will cause horrible response, and misfires... in addition to that, I am going to use a little more electric grease to help with the transfer of electricity, and I will do as you suggested, and test the resistance

Thanks for the advice!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When I started getting mis-fires on my '01 SS LE, I first changed the plugs. Not that. Then I changed the wires. Not that, That's when I bought the MSD coils. That solved the problem.
Here's my suggestion: Remove the coil-packs, and check all the connections, both top and bottom. I'm guessing it's the coils, but not the module. It might be the new wires aren't making a good connection. If you still have problems, go back to the old wires to try to trace the problem. Also, you can swap coils to a different position to see if that changes the mis-fire cylinders.
This should pin-point the problem coil or wire.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 PM

well, before I get too crazy, I am going to regap my plugs to .55... then if THAT doesn't work, I will go ahead and test the continuity of the coils and wires.. and if that is messed up, I'll drop back to stock wires to see if THAT fixes it

Old 11-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Go back to stock wires... they are the best for the 3800... I am still on stock wires, and will most likely stay that way for a LONG time. Never had issues.

.051 is not too small of a gap for a setup with higher boost than stock... 0.055 is a bigger gap, and your tips will wear quicker, and you'll have an even bigger gap, and end up with more misfires, and possibly KR.

104s at .050 work just fine. Some even go as low as .045. Mine are .050.

MSD coils are not the way to go in my opinion. Stock wires, stock coils are plenty strong enough to do the job for any 3800. Some people have swapped coils or wires, and eventually go back to stockafter they try and diagnose the issue as something else, since they can't believe their overpriced coils or wires are doing a crappy job. Marketing sells for a reason, but it isn't always a good product.

For misfire diagnosis, check out this thread... it's very detailed, and has all the information you need.

http://www.oqcgp.net/phpbb3/viewtopi...43&t=37937

No luck to give here, just make the right choice, and you'll be alright.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 PM

Oh... and please do reset your fuel trims by either disconnecting your battery for 20 minutes, or by using your PowerTuner/HP tuner to reset them. Important step after a big mod like TOGGERs.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:28 PM

Sorry I've been away for so long Keegan. I could have helped you out better.

X2 with Rob. Just pull the MSD and plugs and go back to stock. The stock coils and wires are more than enough and work great!!!

Quick Reply: And so it begins...