Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine compartment cooling

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Engine compartment cooling

Is anyone familiar with engine compartment venting/cooling and how it can be done/ducted in our cars? Through the fender wells I would suppose, any ideas?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Why do you feel your engine bay is too hot? Its gonna be hard to keep it really cool when the bulk of the air coming into it is passing through a ~200* radiator first. The easiest thing you can do to keep the heat down produced by the engine is to wrap the exhaust manifolds with a header wrap or something similar.

Personally, I'd say isolate your intake as much as possible- so you're sucking intake air from the coldest spots possible (ie fenderwell, etc)- and the engine itself will be fine. Everything bolted to the engine is going to heat soak to the temperature of the engine and its coolant anyways, so there isn't much you can do about that.

I suppose if you had a 5th gen monte, you could get the cowl hood and cut out the cowl area.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:48 PM
15 Year Member

I have the last generation an '07 - hood swapping is not an option. I have coated the headers - used a blanket on the turbo, have a 1" single tube radiator and 160* stat. The intercooler is in front the radiator and airflow is a concern. With the intercooler in front of the radiator reducing air flow, that compartment gets very hot at slower speeds - my thoughts are vent the compartment and avoid any problems later.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:31 PM

how did you turbo your 07 monty there are very few parts out there for our 7th gen's. and what type of 7th gen do you have the v6 or the v8 7th gen?

Old 02-20-2010, 09:32 PM

also there is a ram air hood that is functional also there are some body shopes that can make the stock hood more ram air as in functional as in bring in air while moving as well let heat excape as well when sitting

Old 02-20-2010, 11:33 PM
15 Year Member

Monte07, I do not want to the change hood, I like the stock and flush look. Someone recommended hood vents and I found some billet aluminum vents on Ebay motors that replicate the 68/69 SS Camaro hood vents and they are perfect. They will do the job and vent the hot air up and out of the compartment exactly how I want to.
I have a Garrett turbo in my car and it is a V8, but no longer the LS4/5.3. I swapped it out for a destroked LS7 - 401 CID. GM does not make an LS7 that bolts to our transmissions but Dart makes a Billet Block that does and I went that route.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:51 PM

Maybe I've asked this before- but would you mind posting a complete mod list and maybe some pics? What transmission are you running?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 PM
15 Year Member

bumpin96monte: I don't know if you asked before and I don't mind mentioning a few modifications I have made. As far as pictures go if I had your personal email I would send you the link. I really don't know how to post pix - I was racing in the 60's so if you can imagine I am a bit technologically challenged when it comes to computers in todays world.
Here are some of the modifications:
Dart Billet Block 4.125 x 3.75 times 8 = 401 CID
World LS7 Warhawk heads - Prepped by Chapman racing
Moroso Value Covers
Jardine Headers - Exhaust
Wizard 1" tubed Radiator
Garrett Turbo Charger
Precision Intake
Aeromotive Fuel System
Wildwood Brakes
AGX Struts 400/500
Addco & BMR Suspension Package (REAR)
Drive Shaft Shop 5.5 CV's
Diamond pistons
Callies Crank
ARP Fastners
Comp CAM
EDM Billet SS Center Caps (Cosmetic)
The tranny is my 4T65E HD
with 300 M input shaft & oil shaft
1.062 Chain/3.29
Billet One piece 4th
Everything Dyna blue and Cyro
Upgrades too many to list
Custom Torque Converter - 2700 Stall -
9 2-1/16" gauges moulded into dash and pad
MSD ignition
265x40R18 Drag radials on stock SS wheels widened 1.125" (front)
This build has been ongoing for 15 months and is almost done. There is so much more I just can not post it all. But I hope you get the idea. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 PM

your my hero.

wow thats my dream to have an LS7 powered monte. i thought it was only possible by converting to RWD, which i heard is a pain in the a**.
removing center console, custum mounts, relocating everything, and upgrading everything else. so how much did that route cost? casue from what i heard the RWD way cost about 15 - 20,000.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by bahdeets
bumpin96monte: I don't know if you asked before and I don't mind mentioning a few modifications I have made. As far as pictures go if I had your personal email I would send you the link. But I hope you get the idea. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.
Sent my email to you in a private message. Can't wait to see this thing.

You definitely should post up a thread when you get it all finished up about the build and how it drives and such- then maybe me or one of the members could post the pictures in it for you?

Sounds like a crazy setup- thats a lot of money. I do have one other question- are you building this to be more of a drag car (ie gutted interior, etc), or a show car?

Quick Reply: Engine compartment cooling