Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Overheating Engine and no heat.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Default Overheating Engine and no heat.

Looking for opinions on what could be causing my issues. I have a ’04 Monte Carlo and our issues began with no longer getting heat through the vents while the heater was running. We had the car cooling system flushed and filled. Checked the air mix doors and they move just fine, tested the temp controls on the dash and they work fine. Now one month later the car is overheating. I had a friend “mechanic” come by and he checked several things. Here is the results of his visit. Top radiator hose gets hot, bottom radiator hose is cool to the touch, disconnected heater core lines and there is no flow through the lines. Also, the car was about a gallon low on antifreeze. Best guess is the water pump is faulty IE no blades to move the water. What is your opinions? The second concern is where did I lose that much Antifreeze?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Hi 'Doug & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.

Sorry to read about your heat problem. I'm not a tech, but have you checked or replaced your thermostat ?

Please check back to see what our expert tech/mechanic's post on your problem.

Also, use our MCF Search engine to explore same or similar problems. Good Luck

p.s. Is your engine a 3.4L or 3.8L ? How many miles ? Any modifications ?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Default well maybe it's the thermostat ?

Thx for the reply, I guess not knowing the flow direction of the cooling system I figured if the top hose was hot then the thermostat was opening just fine. If I am wrong then that would make complete since. Hmm.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:22 AM
Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

There is a chance that when the new antifreeze was put in, the system wasn't bled properly of air, causing an air bubble in the system which would block flow and cause the no heat issue, also would explain the lack of antifreeze. Make sure you check the system for leaks, just in case, also check your oil, make sure it doesn't look like a milk shake as this would mean coolant is getting into the bottom of the motor and you are going to have some serious issue with the motor.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by ohara
There is a chance that when the new antifreeze was put in, the system wasn't bled properly of air, causing an air bubble in the system which would block flow and cause the no heat issue, also would explain the lack of antifreeze. Make sure you check the system for leaks, just in case, also check your oil, make sure it doesn't look like a milk shake as this would mean coolant is getting into the bottom of the motor and you are going to have some serious issue with the motor.
I was thinking that as well, butt when we took off the lines going to the heater core and it didn't spit fluid with the engine running I figured it was the water pump. I don't cars very well and that was my deduction.

Also, it is the 3.4L Engine, sorry Mike that I overlooked the question.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:30 AM

Good Morning Doug,
I hope that more member's see's your thread & can assist.

I don't know 'if the below will help, but it might ?
Good Luck on resolving this problem.
Here's an alternative method for filling and bleeding coolant on a Chevy 3.4L V6 engine. Similar to bleeding with the engine running, this method provided in instruction manuals, shows how to expel air through the bleeder valves on top of the engine, until the air is gone and coolant remains. Give this a try and subscribe to our channel for more "how to" repair videos.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:16 PM

Well, I am beginning to think I have a clogged radiator. I just swapped out the water pump and the old pump looked great. This is soooo frustrating.