Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Hd upgrade kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Default Hd upgrade kit

Does anybody know where any instructions are online on how to do the hd upgrade kit

Old 06-23-2014, 12:16 PM

Anybody??

Old 06-23-2014, 01:04 PM

are you talking the hd differential?

if so, here are the directions....

take hd diff off of hd transmission
take diff off of non hd transmission
put hd diff on non hd transmission
save hd trans since its now the same as a non hd trans for when the installed transmission breaks.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:47 PM

I'm talking about the gears I'm trying to switch the gears out

Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 AM

gears?

just swap the transmission if you want the different gear ratio.

but i think your confused, the only difference between the 4t65 and 4t65hd is the differential. all you need to do to make your trans an hd trans is to put the hd differential on.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Yes I know but you can take the differentials out an upgrade it with Zzp upgrade kit how do you remove the differential period

Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 PM

i'll google that for you...

Grand Prix Net: Quaife Limited Slip Differential Installation

and check out this youtube channel...
TheShawn006 - YouTube

Old 06-27-2014, 03:31 PM

So would stock gears from a Hd trans be the same as the upgrade kit an installed the same way

Old 06-27-2014, 07:45 PM

Does anybody know where any instructions are online on how to do the hd upgrade kit
I'm talking about the gears I'm trying to switch the gears out
Yes I know but you can take the differentials out an upgrade it with Zzp upgrade kit how do you remove the differential period
Originally Posted by JoeD
So would stock gears from a Hd trans be the same as the upgrade kit an installed the same way
I think the confusion here is you're bouncing back and forth talking about two totally different mods: an HD differential swap, and a gear ratio change.

If you're trying to upgrade the differential to the differential set from an HD trans (the only real strength difference part between HD and non HD), then you just need to buy the parts from this kit:

ZZPerformance - 4t65e HD Upgrade Kit #ZZ-4T65EUPK

It is very easy to install- remove the axle, remove the diff cover, swap diffs, and reassemble using an HD axle instead (obviously that is rather simplified).

There is no change in gear ratios for this swap. The ratios stay exactly the same as they were before, its just that the strength of your transmission is mildly improved.

If instead you want to change the drive ratio (the equivalent of swapping rear end gears in a RWD car), then you need to buy a chain and sprocket kit:

ZZPerformance - Gear Ratio Conversion Kit #ZZ-GRCK

Changing the ratio in size from one sprocket to the other is the only economical way to change gearing in these transmissions. The other benefit is that while you're in there, you can install a wider chain to hold more power (and should do other upgrades too since you've got everything torn apart).

However, this isn't an easy install- you pretty much have to pull the trans out of the car, and you still have to pull the trans apart a good bit.

Also- you don't really want to do an "HD" upgrade here. Sure you can swap in the chain and sprockets from an HD trans, but most likely that is NOT what you want to do. There is no strength improvement, and you will be numerically lowering your final drive to 2.93 (which is probably the opposite of what you're wanting to do if you're wanting to race the car).

Honestly, if you have the trans out and apart this far - your best bet is to go ahead and rebuild it. Just my .02

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-27-2014 at 07:47 PM.