Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Weight Reduction Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Exclamation Weight Reduction Help.

I do not want to take out the A/C, but i need to make the car considerably lighter. Any ideas and or products that i could buy? Thanks guys.

-SicZy

Old 06-22-2014, 11:43 PM

If you still have the spare tire you can take that out to shave a few pounds. Not worth it if it's your daily driver IMO.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:01 AM

I havent done it myself, but you could try a dry ('race') battery, such as this one.
ZZPerformance - Race Battery #ZZ-RACEBAT

Old 06-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have the ZZP battery and it works pretty good. If you don't have an aluminum cradle, then that would help you shep some weight. Remove the carpets and all the sound deadening material will help too.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i believe they have a pulley that would normally go where the ac compressor is, also remove any unnecessary seats, re-do exhaust, thefactory onces have iron whick i believe is a bit heavier

Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 PM

You say that you need to make the car considerably lighter- so how much weight do you need to cut?

Secondly, what is your budget for weight reduction?

Third, what are your limitations? I know you mentioned A/C already, and that makes me think that you're trying to keep the car street drivable. Not being able to remove seats, carpet, trim, radio, etc gets rid of a lot of the free weight mods.

Keep in mind that significant weight mods aren't cheap. There are a lot of options out there- light weight batteries, light wheels, lexan windows, fiberglass doors, etc but the cost is very steep for cutting lots of weight.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 PM

Before every one here goes crazy posting some rediclious ideas on how to reduce weight, question remains, why is the OP trying to reduce weight?
Bad mpgs?( get a hybrid)
car too slow? (Buy a car ment to go fast)
Car feels heavy & sluggish? Tune it up and put new shocks on.
Going derby racing? Wrong cars it's made of plastic.
Is it the op's daily driver? If so, this is a good example of a useless thread to start, go buy a crx.
Trying to beat your brother in law cousins 98 civic sedan? Don't. Neither cars were ment for racing porpouses.
Trying to reduce weight on a gm fwd car that weights 3400 lbs= fail

Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Habbibie
Before every one here goes crazy posting some rediclious ideas on how to reduce weight, question remains, why is the OP trying to reduce weight?
Bad mpgs?( get a hybrid)
car too slow? (Buy a car ment to go fast)
Car feels heavy & sluggish? Tune it up and put new shocks on.
Going derby racing? Wrong cars it's made of plastic.
Is it the op's daily driver? If so, this is a good example of a useless thread to start, go buy a crx.
Trying to beat your brother in law cousins 98 civic sedan? Don't. Neither cars were ment for racing porpouses.
Trying to reduce weight on a gm fwd car that weights 3400 lbs= fail
Why would you consider it useless? My ride is a daily driver and I shed a bit over 40 lbs. of unspring weight by simply changing my wheels. I even went up 1" in diameter and still saved weight. That change alone gained me an average of a 2.6 mpg increase. Although minimal, I shaved another 5 lbs when I replaced the stock air box with a CAI induction system. That gained me another 2.3 mpg on average. Overall that's an average increase of 4.9 mpg. I've already paid for the CAI with the savings at the pump buying less fuel. My tires needed replacing anyway, and the purchase of the wheels was dual purpose - weight reduction and æsthetics.

To you, that may seem useless and/or a waste of money, but to each their own.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:44 AM

45 lbs isn't going to reduce the mpg by 5 miles to a gallon! Where did u come up with that?
So if I reduce my car weight by 450 lbs I should be putting hybrids to shame saving a whopping 50 mpg to a gallon thus for my monte @ 3950 lbs after weight reduction should average 70 mpg???

I'd believe you if you would say 5 miles to a "TANK" 14 or so gallons then yea sure but if the statement you made holds true, the whole world would've bought montes and shaved 400 lbs and saved a ton over buying a Prius.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

What I said was overall (lighter weight wheels & CAI) I gained an average increase of 4.9 mpg. With 90% city driving I went from 18 mpg to 22.1 mpg. I do not rely on the DIC - I calculate mileage versus gallons of fuel. The worst mileage I have seen since doing these mods is 19.3 mpg - and that was in the Winter. If you want to stay within the box that's up to you. It's the people that dare to step outside the box reaping the profit of better performance AND mileage. It just depends on how far you want to stretch your right foot. You can 'jack rabbit' start, exceed 60 mph on the freeway or street light race and KILL mileage. There are a lot of members that have posted they average 21-23 mpg - with no mods. At 21 mpg that means they are averaging 357 miles per tank. I went from 18 mpg to 22.1 mpg. That means I average 375 which is right in the ballpark of what those members are averaging. Doesn't sound 'impossible' to me, and considering I have come up with these results on a consistent basis I know it is possible. Like I said though, to each their own...

Correction: I accidently wrote 4.9 in my first sentence meaning to write 4.1.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Weight Reduction Help.