Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Which Fuel System Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Default Which Fuel System Cleaner?

My mileage has been dropping, so I'm gonna try running some fuel system cleaner through the injectors. Any recommendations on which products are effective? Thanks.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm willing to best most of them are all the same. When I take the cars out of winter storage, I run the current full tank (which has fuel stabalizer in it) and at the next fill up, I throw in a bottle of cheap STP fuel system cleaner.

I'll be honest, I do it just because for about $2, it seems good to do once a year on a car that has not ran all winter. I have no other valid reason (just the gut is happy with it).

In my experience, any performance/fuel efficieny issues have never been resolved with fuel system cleaner (despite the claims).

Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 PM

Best Fuel System Cleaner

From LoveToKnow Best

The best cleaner can improve performance and fuel efficiency. Using a bottle of one of the following products may seem like a small thing, but doing so can produce great rewards in keeping your car in top form.
Fuel efficiency is important.

Rank
Item
Why is it the best
Chevron Techron products

Chevron knows fuel, so it stands to reason that the company would understand the chemistry behind cleaning fuel systems. Techron Concentrate Plus cleans , fuel injectors, intake valves and ports, and combustion chambers. It also clears sulfur deposits while fighting future build-up. Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner proves popular among average consumers, earning nearly 100% ratings in user reviews at Amazon.com. In fact, the one reviewer who did not give it five out of five stars complained about the price rather than its performance.

Stanadyne products

For those with diesel-fueled vehicles, Stanadyne is a top brand in fuel additives. As diesel fuel system manufacturers, the company knows what is needed to keep the lines clear and efficient. Stanadyne's best fuel system cleaner is the Performance Formula Diesel Fuel Additive. This top-of-the-line product uses detergents to clear the engine of deposits while also preventing their return. It also fights corrosion and rust. In addition to its cleaning power, this additive includes lubricants and allows for better performance in low temperatures. However, the company also offers the benefit of its experience to gasoline users with the Injector Cleaner and Conditioner. The formula doesn't include alcohol in order to prevent corrosion and wear.

Red Line SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner

Red Line SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner is concentrated to pack a lot of cleaning power in a small amount of product. Its detergents are designed to work at high temperatures, so the product is ideal for high-performance engines. Red Line also claims to reduce octane requirements. In addition, the cleaner is available in a motorcycle formula designed especially for the smaller fuel lines in these vehicles.

STP Fuel System Cleaner and STP Super Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner

Cleaning carburetors, fuel injectors, cylinder heads and piston tops, combustion chambers, intake valves and ports, the STP Fuel System Cleaner offers a comprehensive scrubbing of every inch of the fuel line. The manufacturer recommends that car owners use it twice a year, so it doesn't create a huge burden on your budget or your busy schedule. Although STP's Fuel System Cleaner is the best fuel system cleaner from the company in terms of overall performance, its fuel injector cleaner is ideal for preventative maintenance. It can be used frequently to remove common deposits, such as carbon, on the fuel injector.

GUMOUT Concentrated Fuel System Cleaner

GUMOUT's cleaner removes carbon deposits and other impurities from intake valves and ports, the gas tank,and fuel injectors. The manufacturer recommends using the product every 3,000 miles, which means you'll be using this product with every oil change. However, it's a more affordable product than some other brands, so the total yearly cost is comparable to those requiring fewer applications. GUMOUT can safely be used with other fuel additives if you wish to give your vehicle extra protection.

http://best.lovetoknow.com/Best_Fuel_System_Cleaner
Source...

Old 09-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I concur using Chevon. Expensive, but effective.

STP is my second choice because of the better pricing.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm a seafoam man.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I'm a seafoam man.
I've never seen that at my local shop, but I've heard rave reviews.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:32 PM

SeaFoam is outstanding. I've soaked parts completely gunked with carbon in it and seen the carbon come off.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I'm a seafoam man.
,,,Yes Moderator `Mike,
I really like their products & have used seafoam many times in many vehicles & boats...

Member's, if you don't know about sea foam, check out their site/products & vids....I think it's a great investment 4 your $'s.. (Oh, we are not getting any type of rewards/payments/or anything of value for our endorsement of this product, but we should : )

Sea Foam | Home

Sea Foam Products - the Choice of Mechanics for over 50 years.
How to Use - Where to Buy? - Products - Why It Works
www.seafoamsales.com/ - Cached - Similar

Sea Foam | Motor Treatment

SEA FOAM Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively ... SEA FOAM is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine ...
www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html - Cached - Similar

Show more results from www.seafoamsales.com

Videos for seafoam

Sea Foam Usage Video
14 min - Feb 21, 2006
Uploaded by Sea Foam
video.google.com

How to Seafoam Sc400
2 min - May 4, 2007
Uploaded by fwynn
youtube.com

Old 09-18-2010, 08:24 PM

Either Techron or the Amsoil PI every 4k miles. I use the Amsoil PI at least 2 times a year. Personal preference. How the car is driven should dictate how often a cleaner should be used. Mileage or time however you choose.