Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Default Fuel injector cleaner

Should i do this,? does it work what are the +'s about it and is it worth it.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 PM

yea its definitely worth it, or you can just fuel up at mobile every time you get gas. Mobile has stuff like that in there gas. just think of it as like draino for your car kind of but not as strong. all it does is goes in and kinda flushes stuff out without having to take your injectors apart, it wont hurt anything and I have been putting a bottle of it in my taurus the past year everytime I drive to college and it runs surprisingly a lot smoother. I would definitely run it through at least on the long rides that you take. when you fill up gas just dump the bottle right in before filling and off ya go. Definitely worth it.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 PM

i've heard that the fuel injector cleaners and stuff along that line can highly shorten the life of a catalytic converter, and i think it's 2000-2002 monte's already have a problem with cat failure. I can't say that the cleaners will for sure shorten the life of the cat but just know eventually you will probably have to change the cat either way. I personally use cleaners every once in awhile.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 AM

Have you ever taken the throttle body off your car and looked at all the crap/carbon buildup on the back? That's what's going on in your engine, and theoretically, fuel injector cleaner slows/reverses the gunk and build up on your injectors. As my Monte has aged I've used them. I don't use them because I have a problem, I'm using them to try to prevent a problem. I've always gotten 27/28 MPG's, so I've not seen a marked change either way.

Also, while I agree it's possible to ruin a cat from additives, as long as you don't add a bottle every time you fill up with gas I think it's more likely people lose their cat's because they burn oil or have unburnt fuel getting by because of bad spark plugs, or something of that ilk.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The only product I use is Seafoam.

Once a year, I'll seafoam the engine, after "winter gas" I'll seafoam my tank.

As long as your tune is fine, your car is running well, you shouldn't need to constantly treat it.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Both of the GM dealerships in my area recommend using the GM Fuel System Treatment Plus that they sell because it not only contains cleaning agents but also a lubricant for the in-tank fuel pump. However, through some investigation I have found it is relabeled Chevron Techron so you can buy it at the local part stores under that name and get the same stuff for a better price. I run a bottle of it through the fuel system every other oil change (approx. every 6,000 miles) as preventative maintenance.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 AM

i do it every six months to a year to make sure every thing is clean.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Waste of money. I've never used it, and now that my Monte is running almost 350whp and has over 165k miles on it, there's still no signs of any problems.

Not only that, but 99.9% of gas stations use fuel that already has cleaning detergents in the gasoline. Imo, you're asking for problems by using injector cleaners when modern gasoline is already designed to do a little cleaning.

Save the money and install a fwi. At least you'll notice a small difference then.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM

^^^FWI? sorry i dont know what that is :-P

Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

FWI = FenderWell Intake

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaner