Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

cruise and Compass failing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Default cruise and Compass failing

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS with 130,000 miles. It was built Sept 2001, so it is roughly 7.5 years old.

As of the last month, I have two problems that seem to be related some how because they break and fix together. They both start when I start the car and fix themselves about 10-20 minutes after the car has been running (not necessarily moving though)

Problem 1: Cruise Light is on as if Cruise is engaged, but it isn't and cruise will not engage. After 10-20min cruise light turns off and Cruise works fine (light will turn on and off with cruise engaging and disengaging). Occasionally, while cruise is on, it will turn off on me as well. Pushing the power button on the steering wheel doesn't have any affect what so ever.

Problem 2: The information center (displays compass, outside temp, fuel econ., etc.) will not turn on with the car like it is suppose to, it is just blank. After about 10-20min when the cruise light turns off, the information display turns on (When it turns on, it lights up entirely like when you hold the reset button) and works fine and accurate.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: cruise and Compass failing

Once again, I am not an expert.

Our resident experts don't hang around much on Friday afternoons.

Be patient, someone will answer.

Off the record, it sounds like a BCM or ECMproblem.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Default RE: cruise and Compass failing

I think you should get to the bottom of it, now matter what the outcome. Read my "My Cruise Control is Possessed! Scary!" Thread.

I took my car in for a Cruise Control Problem and the Service Manager told me: "We fixed it"! That's all he'd say about it. "Just a loose wire or something" was all that was forthcoming.

I don't want your problem to be a precursor to the trouble I had ... causing me to have to turn-off the Ignition to prevent the car from taking-off on me.
I was never so scared before. The car was accelerating with my foot on the brakes. I had to shut the car off to prevent the car from gaining speed as the Cruise Control developed a mind of its own.

For SAFETY sake ... I'd go have a discussion with the Service Manager at Chevy. Make him aware of what you are experiencing and tell him you don't like the idea of the Cruise Control activating by itself. When mine did I pulled the car out of gear and listened to the engine hitting the rev-limiter. I had to shut-off the car and kill the Ignition to prevent zooming down the road at high-speed ... out of control.

I made sure he had a Hard Copy of my complaint submitted with a few choice sentences in Red Ink for my maintenance and repair portfolio.
You should too!

Don't "Live with it"
You could be making a big mistake thinking its nothing!