Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Driving in 3rd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Default Driving in 3rd gear?

Does anyone drive in1st, 2nd or3rd gear in theirsupercharged SS's.Will it hurt the engine or make you go a little faster, or do better burnouts? Justcurious cause i never drive in any of thesegears and i know someone here knows.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Default RE: Driving in 3rd gear?

MCF
A Short Course on
Automatic Transmissions
Hope this helps with your ?'s `Space
The modern automatic transmission is by far, the most complicated mechanical component in today's automobile. Automatic transmissions contain mechanical systems, hydraulic systems, electrical systems and computer controls, all working together in perfect harmony which goes virtually unnoticed until there is a problem. This article will help you understand the concepts behind what goes on inside these technological marvels and what goes into repairing them when they fail.
This article is broken down into five sections:
[ul][*]
What is a transmission breaks down in the simplest terms what the purpose of a transmission is.
[*]
Transmission Components describes the general principals behind each system in simple terms to help you understand how an automatic transmission works.
[*]
Spotting problems before they get worseshows what to look for to prevent a minor problem from becoming major.
[*]
Maintenancetalks about preventative maintenance that everyone should know about.
[*]Transmission repairsdescribes the types of repairs that are typically performed on transmissions from minor adjustments to complete overhauls. [/ul]

[hr]

What is a transmission?

The transmission is a device that is connected to the back of the engine and sends the power from the engine to the drive wheels. An automobile engine runs at its best at a certain RPM (Revolutions Per Minute) range and it is the transmission's job to make sure that the power is delivered to the wheels while keeping the engine within that range. It does this through various gear combinations. In first gear, the engine turns much faster in relation to the drive wheels, while in high gear the engine is loafing even though the car may be going in excess of 70 MPH. In addition to the various forward gears, a transmission also has a neutral position which disconnects the engine from the drive wheels, and reverse, which causes the drive wheels to turn in the opposite direction allowing you to back up. Finally, there is the Park position. In this position, a latch mechanism (not unlike a deadbolt lock on a door) is inserted into a slot in the output shaft to lock the drive wheels and keep them from turning, thereby preventing the vehicle from rolling.
There are two basic types of automatic transmissions based on whether the vehicle is rear wheel drive or front wheel drive.
On a rear wheel drive car, the transmission is usually mounted to the back of the engine and is located under the hump in the center of the floorboard alongside the gas pedal position. A drive shaft connects the rear of the transmission to the final drive which is located in the rear axle and is used to send power to the rear wheels.Power flow on this system is simple and straight forward going from the engine, through the torque converter, then through the transmission and drive shaft until it reaches the final drive where it is split and sent to the two

Old 11-13-2007, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: tlip06

Does anyone drive in1st, 2nd or3rd gear in theirsupercharged SS's.Will it hurt the engine or make you go a little faster, or do better burnouts? Justcurious cause i never drive in any of thesegears and i know someone here knows.
First, great info and background on how auto trannies work Space. You should put that article up in a sticky at the top of one of the technical forums.

Now to answer the poster's question? Yes, we all drive using all of our gears, but I don't select the gear.. I let the computer do the thinking, since that's its job. Selecting a gear just forces the computer to stay in that gear without question, except when in 1, it will shift into 2nd if you take it all the way up. It doesn't make you go any faster. It may allow you to do better burnouts, but why risk trannicide (tranny homocide) by wearing your diff out, and causing stress on your shafts?

Leave the shifter in D... and let the tranny do the job... that's why it's automatic. With my reprogrammed shift tables, I have plenty of fun without having to select my own gears... I use my accelerator pedal to make it shift when I need to, plus, it revs up to 6100 instead of the stock 5800 shift points set from the factory.

If you ever need any PCM tuning, you can buy a canned PCM from zzperformance, 3800performance, and other sites. If you want to get into tuning your own vehicle, then get a PCM editing tool like HPTuners or DHP's PowrTuner. I have the PowrTuner, and I like the features, and it's easy to use once you know what you're trying to achieve with it.

If you need any tips or want to make any modifications to get more power, look at some of the other posts in the forum, you should be able to get lots of info. Send me a PM or post up if you have any other questions.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 PM

If there's a wet day and I wanna scare my passengers, or various pedestrians I'll drive around in 1st... the car revs kind of high, because this prevents it from shifting to second (unless not shifting would damage the engine)

Then, ALL the power of the engine can go straight to the drive wheels if I want to , say, goose the throttle and light up the tires while driving down the road. It's cooler than it sounds... and really makes pppl look, lmao.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

You are the master googler Uncle Space[sm=hail.gif], great article.