Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Double or Single timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:09 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Double or Single timing chain

I was only gonna stick with a new stock timing set with 105# Comp 915 springs. Its now 2018 and have all the issues with the double roller timing
been solved? Or should i stick with the Rollmaster single chain? Or would i need to have the crank sprocket modified
in any way to make it fit better when using the double roller? I don't plan on shifting over 6,200 rpm. The cam is a Intense S1X turbo cam, and 105# spring
unless they fixed the breaking issues, then i'll run 130lbs springs. I don't want to break
a double roller, unless by now they fixed the issues with them breaking.

Den

Old 12-17-2018, 01:12 PM

The breaking double chains were down to 2 main issues that I saw: Not machinng the oil pump cover and having the pins wear on the cover under load. Not machining the back of the crank sprocket to match the stock crank causing it to not seat and run the chain at an angle.

Personally, I did both on my car and haven't has an issue in all the years since my swap.

Personally, I would do the 105s and a single and just not spin it like crazy, but certainly plenty of people have went 130s with the s1x. I just like to minimize spring pressure to keep wear down.

Just curious, why a turbo s1x? Seens tons of SC people run them, but have never come across a single turbo s1x.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:36 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
The breaking double chains were down to 2 main issues that I saw: Not machinng the oil pump cover and having the pins wear on the cover under load. Not machining the back of the crank sprocket to match the stock crank causing it to not seat and run the chain at an angle.

Personally, I did both on my car and haven't has an issue in all the years since my swap.

Personally, I would do the 105s and a single and just not spin it like crazy, but certainly plenty of people have went 130s with the s1x. I just like to minimize spring pressure to keep wear down.

Just curious, why a turbo s1x? Seens tons of SC people run them, but have never come across a single turbo s1x.
Well i was looking at the ZZP ST1 turbo cam, but i see that it's been discontinued so i' looking at the S1X turbo cam since it has the same power band, plus the S1X has a little less overlap. But i did look in Comp Cams catalog and i see the cam core and the cam lobes that ZZP uses on their ST1 cam. Plus the S1X had 211 intake duration with about the same exhaust duration as a ST1 but its cut on a 116lsa. On the cam calculator the S1X make about 6 less degrees of overlap. But i'm sure the ST1 and S1X will make similar power. Thanks for the help on the timing chain. Now, when you say Single chain, do you mean stock or a single Rollmaster?

Old 12-18-2018, 09:26 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

I am switching to a ZZP Z3 turbo kit. Thats why i'm looking at turbo cams. Do you think i should be using a different turbo cam? How do you feel about the ZZP ST2 turbo cam?

Last edited by 2004DaleJr.SS; 12-18-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do a double roller with a machined pump cover and have the crank gear chamfer cut so it sits true to the crank. I also suggest 130# springs. I would rather have a little stiffer spring and know there is no chance of floating a valve then have to do the job twice if you do start floating a valve in the higher rpms

Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 2004DaleJr.SS
I am switching to a ZZP Z3 turbo kit. Thats why i'm looking at turbo cams. Do you think i should be using a different turbo cam? How do you feel about the ZZP ST2 turbo cam?
Please take my question about the S1X with a grain of salt. I just have zero experience with it and it seems uncommon on turbo cars for whatever reason. Might be a great cam like the SC version, I just have no idea.

The ST2 Is a pretty proven cam. It's not too wild and has still proven to make 500+ whp when pushed. I think it would be a good option.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:31 AM

I've a leak when running only from the part in from of water pump how do I fix it?