Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

how much horsepower will my mods get me

Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 PM
1 Year Member
Default how much horsepower will my mods get me

Hi im new to the forum here and am wondering what kind of horsepower gains i can expect from the mods i have planned. I have an 04 monte dale jr edition and here are the mods i have planned. Overkill tuned pcm, wizaired cold air induction system, 1.9 rockers, zzp powerlog, 2.5 inch downpipe with highflow cat, ported rear manifold with crossover pipe, 3.5 supercharger pulley, l67 high velocity throttle body and all the supporting mods like colder spark plugs tstat and new valve springs and retainers.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 PM

50-60 crank so maybe an additional 20-25 to the wheels.. Make sure that the canned tune is going to be good enough when you start adding supporting mods and dropping pullies. You will want something to scan for KR, and you may want to get dyno tuned instead of a mail-order tune.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Agree with Mike.... just buy headers instead of a plog and ported rear manifold. Mail order tune will get you close but to be precise the car needs tuned in person.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 AM

yea getting 300hp to the wheels is HARD... i'm almost there and i got a TON of mods.. but overall hp is well past 320

Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

a basic turbo kit on a stock engine and trans will get you right around 300whp but turbo kits are not cheap

Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No need to purchase ported rear manifold OR crossover. Those parts aren't that restrictive.

If you are doing powerlog and downpipe, just do those. If you want more done, then switch to headers.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the reply i have heard good reviews from the company im getting my pcm from a couple of my friends have gotten chips from them and had no problems and i am going to definitely scan for kr i was going to start with a 3.4 inch pulley but i decided to go 3.5 to be on the safe side. how expensive are dyno tunes? I have heard from people they are pretty pricey but never got an exact estimate and from all the mods i listed will i see an increase in torque if so how much should i expect?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you make the exhaust freer flowing, you will actually FEEL like you lost torque. But when you are on the highway or at speed and romp on it, that downshift to 2nd and rockers/more boost will feel great.

Dyno tunes can range. You want to find someone who specializes in 3800s. They can be around $400-$600 depending on the number of runs and time spent on it.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I'm not a pro with the L67, but I think you may want to consider a 3 inch downpipe and not the 2.5 inch.

As for price of a Dyno Tune, it varies, but keep in mind, any time you have the PCM reporgrammed you are paying someone for their knowledge and experience to tune it. It's not a simple matter of they just hit one button and done. There are a lot of different values they can tweak to make things happen. And getting a car dyno tuned or street tuned will yield better results then mail order tune as it should be more customized to your car.
When doing a mail order tune, since the person tuning it has minimal information, they should try and play it safe and improve what your PCM does for the car, but they can't get as tight as someone working with your car.

When doing any kind of tuning, especially mail order tuning, it helps to work with someone who knows the type of drive train you are working with.

Lots of things to factor in.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by brandar
Thanks for the reply i have heard good reviews from the company im getting my pcm from a couple of my friends have gotten chips from them and had no problems
I know. I have an Overkill tune myself and I love it! Will does great work, his communication speeds aren't the best but he's a one man shop and a stand up guy. It's just that since every car is a little different he's not going to be able to get it perfectly down for you when he hasn't even seen your car.

Dyno tunes around here, I know of someone on here that went to a local shop in Akron and I think it was around 500, they do mail order tunes, too. Eventually when I actually start to mod my car I'll be going the dyno tune route, but for now the mail order is good. But it all depends on your area, figure anywhere from 400-600.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how much horsepower will my mods get me