Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Carb tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Default Carb tuning

OK heres the deal, i got the stock 305 motor with stock heads mild port and polish with an 3706 edelbrock intake. I have the matching cam and lifter set, and also a 600 cfm edelbrock caruerator. My problem is this, the car is back firing alot, real sluggish off the line and also continuing to run for 1-2 seconds after i turn the ignition off. i get really bad gas mileage. the car has very low performance off of the line and smells rich. I got a fuel pressure regulator that adjusts from 1-5.5 psi. The instructions reccommend a pressure from 3-5 psi. Before i got the regulator on i had a freeflow of between 5-9 psi. I just advanced the timing a little bit and the car ran fine. Had decent performance and kept running on me only twice in 3 weeks. My question is how to tune the carb, and also what pressure should my pressure for fuel be at. It is a stock edelbrock 600 elec choke. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also thx to boost and all for the help before.

[IMG]local://upfiles/191/D9FE54D4DF064C06A5F5F516152216ED.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Default RE: Carb tuning

I have not tuned a carb for many years, but I did find this Edelbrock Link link to Edelbrock's web site on tuning methods that might be of some help. Also, I found several other links on a google search regarding the 600..

TVW

Old 06-05-2005, 03:25 AM

even tho i hate Edelbrock Carbs, the easiest way to adjust the carb is to play around with the screws on the front barrels... on mine, i started the car and let it idle, then i screwed the front barrel screws until the engine started to bog, then i unscrewed it till the car was normal running again. Usually what happens, is when u get the carb, they set the front barrels wide open for break in process (Jetting the carb). You need to play around with the front barrels till they are at proper running levels...

Old 06-05-2005, 06:15 PM

I have been to the edelbrock site on tuning and it seems to not be working cause it wont load up. Ill keep trying, also tommorrow i will be calling edelbrock hotline to see if i can get some help. I will try the link u posted and see what i can find, i havnt tried a google search yet but will now. Thx again

[IMG]local://upfiles/191/B60B3AF6991C43D199FA8F32252DE9A8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2005, 06:53 PM

ok this dont sound like your carb is the issue it sounds more like your timming is off.

also stupid questing did you just put the intake on it?
If so run your plug wires and make sure they are not off by one or two. this will cuse some of this also.
i have done this before after working a long time o the car you get tired it is better to walk away and look agian the next day or after a break. but here are some ideas for ya now granted i havent been under a hood doing anything like this for about 6 years when i ahd my old 78 with the 350 in it. so im doing this strickly from memory witch is not the best sometimes LOL
also i cant hear the car witch would help allot

If when you advance it it runs better, have you tried to advance it a bit more?
also take the vac. advance off the dist. see if it will run better.

Go back to basics with it.

as far as the carb to adjust it those carbs come out with a bench setting and they are normally pretty close for your set up.

but edelbrock carbs are a basic carter desing and work verry simular to them they are not hard to adjust if you can hear them.

start the car pick on one or the other, run the screw to seat back it off 1.5 turns the car should etheir die or run real ritch
take the other one to seat and bring it back out the same. see if it smothes out for you. if not try giving it another 1/2 turn on the air side. try picking on one at a time get the car to idel and when the idel raises up then you can adjust your idel to make it what you want.

i normally do it with a vac guage. the trick is to hear right when it breaks over the point of running good and to good. if it is to lean your starving it if it runs to ritch it will cause some of the issues your having.
I would think that your going more to the ritch side.

also you might try it with out the fule reg. if it makes it run better then that might be the issue.

goodluck and keep us posted on to what you find out with it