Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

97 Monte LS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Default 97 Monte LS Problem

Okay, I've got a real strange situation.

1997 Monte Carlo LS 96000 miles. (All scheduled Maint Completed)

Every once in a while when the moon is full, and rare spotted birds are flying overhead, if i start my car, it will start rough and run rough.
This isn't all the time mind you, but it will continue for as little as 20 minutes to 2 days, then stop and the car will perform excellent again. The problem has not ever started while i was driving, just on start up occastionally. I can tell when I turn the engine over if it is going to do it or not. The problem is when it does it, it gets about 5-8 MPG. which at 2.89/gal is killing me. has enyone else had this kind of problem? I have replaced the coils, wires, plugs, etc. AutoZone and the dealer cant figure out what could be causing it. The check engine light has never gone off since the first time it happened. It just flashes while its happening, and stays solid when its not. AutoZone said the trouble code was Multiple/Random Cyl Misfire, which sounds right... The car does great under hard accelleration even with the problem, but sitting at the light the car feels like its going to stall. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Streetman

Old 11-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Default RE: 97 Monte LS Problem

ORIGINAL: streetchariot

Okay, I've got a real strange situation.

1997 Monte Carlo LS 96000 miles. (All scheduled Maint Completed)

Every once in a while when the moon is full, and rare spotted birds are flying overhead, if i start my car, it will start rough and run rough.
This isn't all the time mind you, but it will continue for as little as 20 minutes to 2 days, then stop and the car will perform excellent again. The problem has not ever started while i was driving, just on start up occastionally. I can tell when I turn the engine over if it is going to do it or not. The problem is when it does it, it gets about 5-8 MPG. which at 2.89/gal is killing me. has enyone else had this kind of problem? I have replaced the coils, wires, plugs, etc. AutoZone and the dealer cant figure out what could be causing it. The check engine light has never gone off since the first time it happened. It just flashes while its happening, and stays solid when its not. AutoZone said the trouble code was Multiple/Random Cyl Misfire, which sounds right... The car does great under hard accelleration even with the problem, but sitting at the light the car feels like its going to stall. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Streetman
You need to have your injectors cleaned.