Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2003 SS engine and trans need help !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Question 2003 SS engine and trans need help !!

Hey guys I own a 2003 ss high sport and Need some advice.
I'm deciding whether to rebuild trans and engine, replace old with new, or to start over with a new car.
It has 190k and things are just start ring to go wrong; trans is slipping, water pump failure and just a bunch of money pits.
I want to get an intake and performance exhaust and pulleys and just milk the power but it would be a waste of money at the mileage. Basically I'm wondering what the Monte pros would do in my position. If I spent 2500 on a new engine and trans how much would a mechanic charge me to put em in? Would a rebuild be smarter?
Body is in great shape, looks like it has 50,000 miles, it was my mothers commuter for the first 185k. its just getting to old to be reliable or any fun to tune. Just help me with some number or any advice please
Greatly Appreciated guys!
I love the Monte that's why i would rather stick with it than leave the club for a Honda

Old 10-03-2013, 07:38 AM

You could go with your second thought, a new motor and transmission, one thing you'll need to remember though is all the other components on the body have 190+K miles on them, parts are going to start going sooner or later, suspension, wheel bearings, axles all that good stuff. I would imagine a few members would suggest going with the series 3 engine if your going to get a new one. Me personally if I could I would have my car rebuilt to the day it came off of the line, but would improve the weak links it came with. Not sure how much a mechanic would charge you for an install, as its going to be mostly labor.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My vote is give Dave at triple edge performance a call for trans prices, keep the engine until it fails. If the engine is not burning oil and or coolant, has all its power, no knock from a spun bearing keep the engine. You could freshen up the top end with new lower intake gaskets and coolant elbows and plugs writes etc and keep the engine. These engines last a long time if maintained correctly.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
My vote is give Dave at triple edge performance a call for trans prices, keep the engine until it fails. If the engine is not burning oil and or coolant, has all its power, no knock from a spun bearing keep the engine. You could freshen up the top end with new lower intake gaskets and coolant elbows and plugs writes etc and keep the engine. These engines last a long time if maintained correctly.
what does it mean if the motor is burning oil?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Not that I'm an expert but normally the rings are worn if its burning oil, some 3800's had an issue with using oil, my 02 impala with the 3800 used oil, but my monte carlo doesn't. Here is a tsb regarding the issue.

Bulletin No.: 05-06-01-035A
Date: October 02, 2007
L26, L32, L36, L67 Excessive Oil Consumption (Replace Exhaust Valve Stem Seals)
Models:
2005 Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue
2005-2008 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse
2006-2008 Buick Lucerne
2005 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
2005 Pontiac Bonneville
2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
with 3800 Series II, III V6 Engine (VINs 2, 4, K, 1 - RPOs L26, L32, L36, L67)
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-01-035 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
Condition
Some customers may comment on excessive oil consumption on 3800 Series II and Series III engines. An engine that has excessive oil consumption uses 0.9L (1 qt) of oil or more within 3200 km (2,000 mi).
Cause
This condition may be caused by the retaining ring on the exhaust valve stem seal not securely holding the seal on the cylinder head boss. If this occurs, the exhaust valve stem seal(s) may move off the cylinder head boss and no longer provide a sealing function between the exhaust valve stem and the valve guide.
Correction
Inspection and/or Replacement of Exhaust Valve Stem Seals
Follow the appropriate Service Information for the vehicle you are working on to gain access to cylinder head exhaust valves on both cylinder banks. Remove the engine valve rocker arm covers, the exhaust rocker arms and the exhaust valve springs.
Oversize valve stem seals are available. Make sure the correct valve stem seals are installed. An OIL CONSUMPTION concern can be created by installing the oversize valve stem seals. The oversize valve stem seals are marked black in color and are NOT to be used UNLESS installing valves with oversize valve stems.
There are 2 different valve stem seals used - one for exhaust valves and one for intake valves. Exhaust valve stem seals are green in color and have "EX" molded into the top of the seal. Intake valve stem seals are blue in color and have "IN" molded into the top of the seal. Using the wrong seal on a exhaust or intake valve can also contribute to oil consumption. The correct seal usage should be verified while checking for correctly seated exhaust valve stem seals.