Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2003 Trans Swap or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2003 Trans Swap or rebuild?

Ok, long story short, I've neglected my trans, I know my fault. It's got a bad whine, groan and a serious slip/shudder in 2nd gear. Brown, smelling fluid, with black particles like what you'd see when looking in the bottom of the pan.

anyway, I've got to buy a new, rebuild, or swap this thing.

I found a SC 2004 Pontiac Prix engine/trans combo on craigslist for 800$ will that trans be a direct bolt on and go?

other option is a found a rebuild-able wreck Grand-Prix 04 needs bumpers, headlights, possible hood, but that's it. they want 850$ for that. Could buy that, fix it, flip it, and buy a Triple Edge Transmission for the Monte

rebuild the original trans? I don't know, I can't pull the Trans at my house so I think I'd spend just as much as buying a TEP and having it installed?

I really don't know but whatever I do I have to decide cause this thing could be done at any moment...

Old 07-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've read some great reviews about Triple Edge. And I think a few members here have used them. Personally, I'm spending my next income tax check on a Triple Edge Street/Strip Trans. I like all the upgrades they do. And they list them all along with the problems that were in the OEM 4T65E. And the $$$ out of pocket is reasonable.
I have the same problem as you when it comes to the install. When I get close to the purchase, I will start looking for a Trans shop to install it for me. Good Luck with yours. Keep use posted on what you choose.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

A trans from a sc car will bolt up but I think some connectors are different. Also the gearing is different so you would need to tune for different gearing before driving the car or it will trash the new trans very quickly.

Dave at TEP is an awesome guy and sells an awesome trans I would recommend him to anyone!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:01 PM

Ok, finally got a hold of the dude with the 04 motor/trans deal. I was mistaken it's NOT supercharged. It's all still together, comes still assembled on the subframe. Even has brakes & struts attached.

I've read that '04 is drive by wire? Chances are that won't be a plug and play deal? Am I correct in that assumption.
Thanks for the responses, I just don't know if I can swing the cash for the TEP trans. It may be more cost effective to find a rebuildable trans and put a TEP kit in it myself, and have that installed?
I'm going to have a diagnostic check done on the trans to find the exact issue for sure and go from there.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member

I talked to T.E.P.. They said the kit is the same price as the rebuilt Trans. Because they do a Trans/Core swap. So non of the cores are new, just the guts. At that point I figured it's better to just get the Trans. Plus I've seen a couple of video's on YouTube. I don't have the space for all the parts as you take the Trans apart. And I fear I would loose something. Nope, buying complete is the way to go for me!

Last edited by JC Colon; 07-31-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM

Good news, hasn't had issues and diagnosis was possible filter clogging. And yes the fluid is bad. I apparently, I was freakin' for nuttin'

What are you guys using for fluid?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member

Dextron VI is what everyone says. I've put a couple of quarts in, I have a leak at the Trans cooler I haven't had time to fix yet. I'll do it when I do the filter and fluid change. Hope I'm as lucky as you andtThat's all I need!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A 2004 Monte is NOT drive by wire. The 2004 grand prix is.

Dex6 is the fluid of choice.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 PM

Dexron VI I'll go for it. but what brand? I know they all aren't created equal but I really don't wanna take out a loan for trans fluid...

Old 08-04-2013, 04:26 PM

I got it done, found a good deal on oriely brand dex VI the actual dex vi not the global, 4.29$ a quart.

I've done this operation before on my van, same trans. But that booger of a seal on the trans filter whole is a son of a witch! Hate it. But done now, good for another 100k give or take.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 2003 Trans Swap or rebuild?