Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Trans Build: 1 aweomse trans build! pic heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ha, bet it is a relief to have that in your hands. Hoping it does not get lost in the mail etc. That is one VERY rare differential for our cars. Who did you have to kill to get that? Looks like she has been gathering dust sitting on a shelf somewhere for the last 08 years. Extra sweet part going to give you that deep down peace of mind when your getting at it. Be careful where you park your car after you have that tranny back together. Some Grand Prix guys might be harboring ill intent. LOL JK, but it will be a seriously expensive tranny. Are you also going to be using the Sonnax 3rd clutch piston sold by ZZP? We did on my latest build.

Also Matt told me today I have the GMR1" 3.29 chain in my build , but not the GMR cross shaft... And I don't have the GMR Input shaft, have either Intenses or ZZP's 300 mil. You dog way to go on scoring some top tier parts.

After my Intense Racing Gen 3 LSD failed I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a GMPP LSD back in April 2011 as pictured below.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 PM

I was going to ask that very question, about where he got it.. Even years ago when I was in the scene heavily, those diffs were hard to come by. Also, most didn't understand that it wasn't exactly drop-in, at least from what I remember.

You two are seriously making me consider a full on build now...No bueno for my savings! lol. I allowed people to convince me of sort, that dropping too much coin on a FWD to make it marginally faster is just foolish and not worth it. However, I'm starting to think back on the street fun I use to have and the looks on some peoples face when they just got pounded by a FWD 6 on the freeway....Good times...

Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mac7504
I was going to ask that very question, about where he got it.. Even years ago when I was in the scene heavily, those diffs were hard to come by. Also, most didn't understand that it wasn't exactly drop-in, at least from what I remember.

You two are seriously making me consider a full on build now...No bueno for my savings! lol. I allowed people to convince me of sort, that dropping too much coin on a FWD to make it marginally faster is just foolish and not worth it. However, I'm starting to think back on the street fun I use to have and the looks on some peoples face when they just got pounded by a FWD 6 on the freeway....Good times...
Hey bro, I'm with you on the surprise factor, too much fun having someone roll in on your Monte and essentially lay waste to them when they just know your a fresh kill for them. And they go like "Damn, WTH is he packing?" Rest assured when your playing up here, if you don't get it built with every bit of precision practical, your savings will keep getting dipped in to. But if you do it right, it's gold. My engine has about 24,000 miles on her and my mechanic / builder says my engines compression check back in August was spot on. Foolish, guess that's a personal dilemma, neither John, you or I and many other members are ones to follow the crowds or we would not be driving a 5th,6th or 7th gen. Monte would we. If you have the what for with, lets get your already remarkable Monte out there being a contender again... But watch out, your going to have TurboMonte coming over to test you out, John is a real competitive individual, and CRAZY! (Has to be he just got married). LOl,

Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Hey bro, I'm with you on the surprise factor, too much fun having someone roll in on your Monte and essentially lay waste to them when they just know your a fresh kill for them. And they go like "Damn, WTH is he packing?" Rest assured when your playing up here, if you don't get it built with every bit of precision practical, your savings will keep getting dipped in to. But if you do it right, it's gold. My engine has about 24,000 miles on her and my mechanic / builder says my engines compression check back in August was spot on. Foolish, guess that's a personal dilemma, neither John, you or I and many other members are ones to follow the crowds or we would not be driving a 5th,6th or 7th gen. Monte would we. If you have the what for with, lets get your already remarkable Monte out there being a contender again... But watch out, your going to have TurboMonte coming over to test you out, John is a real competitive individual, and CRAZY! (Has to be he just got married). LOl,
Yeahhh!!!! That’s what I’m talking about… Not that my heavy Chevy was the fastest car on the block, but the mods I have do tie in together well, not to mention (and I’m sure you can attest to this) but the full BMR suspension, swap bars included (when they offered them) made the car handle very predictable and simply awesome, which is how I managed to contend with much faster cars. My favorite part is “that’s a V-8, right?” No…”yes, it is”, No it’s not…:laughs:

Even if I told people half the cars I’ve snuffed or even stayed with, they wouldn’t believe me…lol However, we all know N/A is just not enough and you guys have made me hungry again, that’s for sure. Since my track season is coming to a slow, this just gives me more time to devote to the Monte to get her right. You are most def right about why most of us drive Montes and why I refuse to give her up, so you have a very solid point there.
I’d love to hang with you guys but it may take me a while to get me there, even then, geeesh, I see some of those number and I just couldn’t even imagine… :yes: Ohh and I’ll run anything that rolls; might get my *** handed to me but I’ll do it…And do it again, and again, and again…lol

FYI; sorry for the thread hi-jack....

I'm Johnny btw. :cheers:

Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Blazed SS
2 words "Just Awesome !!"
Thanks man!

Ha, bet it is a relief to have that in your hands. Hoping it does not get lost in the mail etc. That is one VERY rare differential for our cars. Who did you have to kill to get that? Looks like she has been gathering dust sitting on a shelf somewhere for the last 08 years. Extra sweet part going to give you that deep down peace of mind when your getting at it. Be careful where you park your car after you have that tranny back together. Some Grand Prix guys might be harboring ill intent. LOL JK, but it will be a seriously expensive tranny. Are you also going to be using the Sonnax 3rd clutch piston sold by ZZP? We did on my latest build.

Also Matt told me today I have the GMR1" 3.29 chain in my build , but not the GMR cross shaft... And I don't have the GMR Input shaft, have either Intenses or ZZP's 300 mil. You dog way to go on scoring some top tier parts.

After my Intense Racing Gen 3 LSD failed I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a GMPP LSD back in April 2011 as pictured below.

Hey Greg, yes big sigh of relief when she arrived today! All I am going to say is I finally found the right people to find these parts lol. And one more thing to make your head spin... in all honesty I got 3 GMR input shafts, 4 GMR output shafts, and 2 GMR torsen diffs all together for other local guys that have some fast grand Prix's and a Bonneville. I can still get another input shaft and output shaft and I can also get a gear set all GMR if you are interested in any of it Greg. No more torsens are available as of now.

I am not using the sonnax piston I am using Dave at TEP 12 pack upgrade for 3rd instead.

You are correct the torsen is not a direct bolt in piece you need to upgrade the washers on the planetery gears to a bronze washer for street use. The GMR input shaft is not direct bolt in either it needs machine work done to it.

I understand why people say its foolish because its "wrong wheel drive" but if its setup correct it will hook and run a very respectable time in the 1/4 and stomp a lot of v8's and remember we are still a v6 at the end of the day... 2 less cylinders and "wrong wheel drive" but were beating you... lol

Greg is correct if built right they will last (knock on wood) my engine has had no issues since rebuild about 5k miles ago, trans on the other hand I keep breaking but with these parts I'm hoping to solve that issue! (Fingers crossed)

Lol me competitive? Only when it comes to trying to beat your Monte you have inspired my to go this far with turbo Monte seeing the power your making and if it was not for that I don't think I would of ever went this far.

Me crazy? Nah lol. The wife supports me with every penny I spend in turbo Monte so I convinced myself lucky to find a girl like her and I'll hold on to her hence marriage, she's a keeper in my eyes!

If your interested in any parts Greg PM me I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by turbo monte; 11-04-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member

Yeahhh!!!! That’s what I’m talking about… Not that my heavy Chevy was the fastest car on the block, but the mods I have do tie in together well, not to mention (and I’m sure you can attest to this) but the full BMR suspension, swap bars included (when they offered them) made the car handle very predictable and simply awesome, which is how I managed to contend with much faster cars. My favorite part is “that’s a V-8, right?” No…”yes, it is”, No it’s not…:laughs:

Even if I told people half the cars I’ve snuffed or even stayed with, they wouldn’t believe me…lol However, we all know N/A is just not enough and you guys have made me hungry again, that’s for sure. Since my track season is coming to a slow, this just gives me more time to devote to the Monte to get her right. You are most def right about why most of us drive Montes and why I refuse to give her up, so you have a very solid point there.
I’d love to hang with you guys but it may take me a while to get me there, even then, geeesh, I see some of those number and I just couldn’t even imagine… :yes: Ohh and I’ll run anything that rolls; might get my *** handed to me but I’ll do it…And do it again, and again, and again…lol

FYI; sorry for the thread hi-jack....

I'm Johnny btw. :cheers:
No worries on the hijack lol.

Bmr still offers all the bars for sale new, they can be purchased from bmr or through summit, I have the bmr stb's and will be ordering the lateral arms and trailing arms soon

Would be awesome to have another contender with me and Greg I vote you do it!

As far as racing anything with wheels I agree 100%! My buddys wife looked at me one time because I raced a diesel pickup and goes "I think if a turtle on the side of the road looked at you wrong you would try to race it!" Thing is she is probably correct haha

Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Thanks man!

Hey Greg, yes big sigh of relief when she arrived today! All I am going to say is I finally found the right people to find these parts lol. And one more thing to male your head spin... in all honesty I got 3 GMR input shafts, 4 GMR output shafts, and 2 GMR torsen diffs all together for other local guys that have some fast grand Prix's and a Bonneville. I can still get another input shaft and output shaft and I can also get a gear set all GMR if you are interested in any of it Greg. No more torsens are available as of now.

I am not using the sonnax piston I am using Dave at TEP 12 pack upgrade for 3rd instead.

You are correct the torsen is not a direct bolt in piece you need to upgrade the washers on the planetery gears to a bronze washer for street use. The GMR input shaft is not direct bolt in either it needs machine work done to it.

I understand why people say its foolish because its "wrong wheel drive" but if its setup correct it will hook and run a very respectable time in the 1/4 and stomp a lot of v8's and remember we are still a v6 at the end of the day... 2 less cylinders and "wrong wheel drive" but were beating you... lol

Greg is correct if built right they will last (knock on wood) my engine has had no issues since rebuild about 5k miles ago, trans on the other hand I keep breaking but with these parts I'm hoping to solve that issue! (Fingers crossed)

Lol me competitive? Only when it comes to trying to beat your Monte you have inspired my to go this far with turbo Monte seeing the power your making and if it was not for that I don't think I would of ever went this far.

Me crazy? Nah lol. The wife supports me with every penny I spend in turbo Monte so I coincided myself lucky to find a girl like her and I'll hold on to her hence marriage, she's a keeper in my eyes!

If your interested in any parts Greg PM me I'll see what I can do.

Great info, I hope to learn lots more about the more advance side of this. Transmissions are light years beyond engine work in my head....

So no Torsen diffs ever, anymore? Couldn't one go direct to GM?

My Brother has a torsen diff in his 03 Spev V and I love the way it feels and hooks and it's FWD, so I completely understand.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member

Gm discontinued these years ago, I got lucky to find the right guy at the right time that said I think I have 2 on my shelf hold on and sure enough he did.... I've searched for about 2 years and finally found these so I am convinced if there is anymore out there new Idk if anyone will ever find them lol

Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member

A company called engineered performance makes a LSD for our cars but its not as good as a torsen from what I'm told. Quaife made a LSD for our cars back in the day as well but they are now discontinued as well.

Your best bet is look on all the 3800 forums in the sale ads like 3 times a day and hope to find one come up for sale, I was doing this and only seen 1 pop up in 2yrs and I missed the sale by about a half hour it sold within 10mins of being posted.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 PM

Gm discontinued these years ago, I got lucky to find the right guy at the right time that said I think I have 2 on my shelf hold on and sure enough he did.... I've searched for about 2 years and finally found these so I am convinced if there is anymore out there new Idk if anyone will ever find them lol
Probably right on that..lol They were scarce when I was running around many years ago...

A company called engineered performance makes a LSD for our cars but its not as good as a torsen from what I'm told. Quaife made a LSD for our cars back in the day as well but they are now discontinued as well.

Your best bet is look on all the 3800 forums in the sale ads like 3 times a day and hope to find one come up for sale, I was doing this and only seen 1 pop up in 2yrs and I missed the sale by about a half hour it sold within 10mins of being posted.

Ohh wow, EP still around? That is really good to hear in the event if I go that far, we shall see. Yeah, Quaife was the only other true close diff for our cars, also scarce at the time.

I'm very far from that point, I'm just in awe of what I could of done instead of purchasing 2 sport bikes in order to pursue high speed fix...

Anyway, I look forward to more progress and maybe a vid or two...

Quick Reply: Trans Build: 1 aweomse trans build! pic heavy!