Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Recommend a steam cleaner

Old 11-07-2011, 07:12 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Recommend a steam cleaner

I was looking for recommendations on a steam cleaner. I don't know if they have this. But I'd like one that has a long nozzle or an extendable flexable nozzle. Something that can get down into hard to reach areas like down inside the engine bay.

I had the intake manifold gasket replaced a while back. And a shop said it may be leaking. But isn't sure if it is leaking, or the prior shop just didn't clean up the old leak. But they recommended that I clean the engine to see if it is leaking. But I don't want to blast the engine at a car wash like the shop recommended. But I think it is safer to use a steam cleaner. But would like one that has an extendable nozzle that can reach down in tight areas inside the engine bay. Kinda like a long small flexable hose that sprays the steam.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsmith
I was looking for recommendations on a steam cleaner. I don't know if they have this. But I'd like one that has a long nozzle or an extendable flexable nozzle. Something that can get down into hard to reach areas like down inside the engine bay.

I had the intake manifold gasket replaced a while back. And a shop said it may be leaking. But isn't sure if it is leaking, or the prior shop just didn't clean up the old leak. But they recommended that I clean the engine to see if it is leaking. But I don't want to blast the engine at a car wash like the shop recommended. But I think it is safer to use a steam cleaner. But would like one that has an extendable nozzle that can reach down in tight areas inside the engine bay. Kinda like a long small flexable hose that sprays the steam.
you could get a steam cleaner and but some rubber hosing from a hardware store to put on the end,thats what i plan on doing

Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 04chevyboy
you could get a steam cleaner and but some rubber hosing from a hardware store to put on the end,thats what i plan on doing
Do you know which steam cleaners are good? I know the best is the commercial units, but those are too pricy and bulky for minimal use compared to a consumer model. But I know alot of the cheaper steam cleaners get bad reviews for not being able to do much compared to what you might see on infomercials.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I use a Hotsy. had the same one for almost 8 or 9 years now. it is the best one i have used and i use it everyday at my detail shop.

Hotsy 700 Series Hot Water Pressure Washers

edit: this is a commercial model

Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I have a shark - uses plain old water. If I'm cleaning something really dirty I spray on some simple green and then blast it with the steam and it works great. Great for wheels and engine compartments (not by any electrical though)

Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I have a shark - uses plain old water. If I'm cleaning something really dirty I spray on some simple green and then blast it with the steam and it works great. Great for wheels and engine compartments (not by any electrical though)
Do you have the handheld or the floor model? I had read the floor model is more powerful than the handheld. I think the steam cleaner would be real nice cleaning up things like door jambs.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I know you said you don't want to blast the engine at the car wash, but in all honesty, I have cleaned a lot of dirt/grim from an engine using a can of engine de-greaser and a high pressure sprayer at the car wash. Just keep an eye on thing like vacuum lines and such.