Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Pinstriping removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Default Pinstriping removal

I`d like to replace my pinstriping but not sure of a safe way to remove the old stripes without damaging the paint. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Default RE: Pinstriping removal

[align=center]Hi Robert,[/align][align=center]I hope the below information helps.[/align][align=center]I hope other member's will post their idea's, solutions.[/align][align=center](From my Web Files : )[/align][align=center]Member's, post your information [/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Instructions
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Things You'll Need [/align][*][align=center]Car Wax [/align][*][align=center]Blow Dryers[/align][*][align=center]Mild Liquid Soap [/align][*][align=center]Scrubbing Pads [/align][*][align=center]WD-40 [/align][*][align=center]Plastic Putty Knives
Steps
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step One
Heat the stripe with a hair dryer.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]2[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step Two
Peel the stripe slowly, pulling it off at a 90-degree angle while heating the next section. Do not overheat the paint, or it will be more likely to chip.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]3[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step Three
Use a plastic putty knife if you don't have long fingernails, but be careful not to scratch the paint.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]4[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step Four
Put some multipurpose cleaner and lubricant, such as WD-40, on a scrubbing pad (the type with a net covering) and rub off the leftover adhesive.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]5[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step Five
If the stripes are old, they may not peel off easily, even with heat. Soak them with WD-40 for 15 minutes and then try scraping.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]6[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step Six
Wash the
car thoroughly with mild soap. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]7[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step Seven
Wax and enjoy!
[/align][*][align=center][:-][/align][*][align=center]Also, click the below link for 3M Products[/align][*][align=center]Robert, Good Luck[/align]
[:-]
3M has a family of products to safely and easily remove decorative items such as pinstriping, graphics, decals, side moldings and emblems. ...
solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotiv... - 50k - Similar pages

Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Hey man,thanks for the info. Gonna put a red and silver stripe on this black monte. The old stripe is just plain silver. Let u know how it turns out.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 AM

Are yours vinyl or painted on? Mine were painted on.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 AM

Mine are vynal. Started removing them last weekend but was having some problems getting it off. Think I`ll try the wife`s hair dryer on it to soften it up.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:53 PM

go to eastwood.com
or eastwoods automotive. they have a attachment that is cheap and you stick it on your drill and go after it.
not to mention it will not damage your paint. it is well worth the cash you spend on it to make sure you dont tear up the paint on the car and have a car that needs new paint on it now to.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

Man... I totally disagree with that process. The hair dryer thing was ok, but the rest of it... scary...

I removed my daughter's 10-year old pinstripe by applying a swirl remover compound on the car and put my PC 7424 on it on high with a Lake Country Orange pad. The PC/compound heated up the tape and soften it at the same time making it easy to remove the stripe and then compound removed the rest of the glue safely. Now with my daughter's car, the ghost image of the stripe was there from 10-years of the car's paint fading.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:59 PM

old silver stripes on a black car... the worst combo for them to come off easy! i feel for ya but it can be done. if you got a drill.. air or electric then go to a parts store that carries some form of bodyshop supplies and ask for a pinstripe eraser wheel. its easy to use and it works great. 3M,Motorguard and others make spin offs of the same product. it will take off the stripe and the glue.the downside is that on black it leaves it pretty dull so your gonna have to polish the paint back up before putting on new stripes.if you wax it up be sure to wipe over where the stripes will be placed with some alcohol, glass cleaner or equivalent so the stripes bite to the raw paint then carefully wax back over them after your done.