Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Help on pinstriping

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Help on pinstriping

Hey all, I want to pinstripe my monte by hand with paint. No vinyl or stickers or nothing but I dont know where to begin as what kind of paint i need, surface preparation, how long to bake in the sun with no washes and stuff like that. I really want to do it freehand with paint along the grooves on the fenders, hood, and quarter-panel. It will be black. PLEASE any help fellow MC owners?

Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just out of curiosity, if you are asking the how-to it means you haven't done it before.

Get a quick price quote from a professional for a hand-painted pin-striping... it might not be as expensive as you think, and it will be done right and MUCH easier for you.

I try to do everything myself, but I know when it's good to spend a few bucks (honestly with the supplies you'd probably have to buy, it could be around the same price) to get the work done right and save me a few hours / day or 2.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Yeah, but their is no pinstriping place around me =[. This guy at the body shop said he'll do it for $100 with vinyl =/ well, if I dont like, I guess I can always take it off huh

Old 07-24-2009, 01:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We have PLENTY of chi-town members, maybe someone knows a place.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

first, dont do it yourself unless you do research and find the right paint.

i got mine hand painted too because i didnt want a sticker on my car. looks soo great.
decided to go with 2 lines because one line didnt really show.

best thing to do is not go to a body shop. they will charge you soo much. i found out from a friend that had all his and his dads cars pinstriped by hand, how i found my guy.
look up your local signmakers in yellow pages. thats right, signmakers as in people who do billboards, advertising, and business signs. my guy is a signmaker and has a million different paint colors and a very steady hand. i mean, after all thats what he does all day. look up your signmakers, give them a call and see if they've ever done it, or if they know other signmakers that do it.

as far as drying on the paint, my guy told me red paint takes the longest to dry even in a hot sun. i got mine done in red. i took my car in at 8 am and picked it up at 4 pm. took about 7-8 hours to fully dry on a sunny day.
it cost me 250 to get both sides front and back painted, along with the 2 stripes around my hood scoop. check out my pictures to see how it came out and if you like the look.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 PM

Well, see the thing is I dont live in chicago, (Homer Glen) which is between lockport and orland park. I'll ask the guy at the body shop I went too, how much it will be to get it hand-painted.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

2 things to look out for:

Make sure he's done pinstriping freehand on cars before.
also make sure he isnt gonna mask it off and paint the pinstriping like he would paint a car with an airbrush. it wont stand up on the car like you want it and will blend in.
i'd do some research and i'd strongly suggest calling your local signmakers. just my 2 cents.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by MonteLSV6
Yeah, but their is no pinstriping place around me =[. This guy at the body shop said he'll do it for $100 with vinyl =/ well, if I dont like, I guess I can always take it off huh
holy cow.... $100 to apply a simple body line vinyl pinstripe is ludicris. our shop wouldn't charge a penny to do that.... shop around friend

Old 07-26-2009, 01:30 PM

it isnt to hard. go to where they sell automotive paint supplies. one shot brand is ok, but it isnt meant to be cleared over. best type of pinstripe paint is a urethane based. pracite on some metal and use a mac brush 00

Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Thanks Silver1, but I'm getting my pinstripping done tomorrow for $75. cant wait!.

Quick Reply: Help on pinstriping