Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Exterior Detailing, fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:07 AM

IMO. I am not using two different types of polish, one right after the other. One or the other should suffice. I think I'll get the liquid glass polish and wax. The rest of your list sounds good, when I get warm weather and a few extra bucks I'll go out and buy the supplies and dedicate 8 hours to washing/buffing/waxing my car.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:11 AM

If you want to get serious about detailing your car i suggest doing a lot of reading before hand. read up on products and procedure so you only have to buy things once. autopia.org has alot of good info.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermain N/A SS
What should I use to wash the car with? Currently I use a car sponge...that might be a bad idea, should I use a soft rag or something?

And what is the 3M rubbing compound and 3M machine polish? I've never heard of those, and I don't know where to get them.

And where do I get liquid glass polish and Jax wax at? I've never seen or heard of those, but they do look like they do a mighty fine job. And what should I use to wax it with? Currently I have a wax pad that I got from my turtlewax ICE, it seems to work okay. Then I dry the car with a soft microfiber towel.

You can find Jax wax at www.jaxwax.com You can use a buffer or pad.
eeek turtle wax! lol. Use a groute sponge as far as washing. You can find them at Lowes for a few bucks. Paul Daldon (I think thats his last name) uses a groute sponge. P.S. there is nothing wrong with waxing your car once a month.... Just de wax every 3 months or so. If people would love there cars they would never break down or purposley try to kill there owners.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:41 PM

Try "Fix-It Pro"... the scratch has met it's match. NEVER use this stuff.

I hate swirl marks too. That's why I drive a white Monte. It tends to hide scratches and swirl marks.

I NEVER use a wax on it either. I've been using Turtle Wax ICE since it came out and it works like nothing I've ever seen. I'd recommend ALL of the ICE products to everyone. Except for the tire dressing, I haven't tested that yet. Remember to ALWAYS use a micro-fober wax applicator instead of the sponge given with the ICE.

Speaking of recommending stuff, anyone remember the "3 Rainstorm Tire Shine" by Prestone? It was THE BEST tire shine I've ever used. It NEVER slung-off onto my white paint and I only had to put it on my Monte twice a year, spring and fall. Gave a nice satin finish to the tires.

Since every place I have checked stopped carrying it, I found a suitable replacement that has no sling-off, but it's drawback is you have to re-apply it after every car washing. It's the "Dupont Teflon Tire Shine".