Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Exterior Detailing, fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Default Exterior Detailing, fix this?

So after I finish washing and waxing my car I look up close and notice the swirly marks all over, they aren't that bad yet, you have to look real close to see them, but I know they're there. Ontop of that I probably have 10 chips of paint on the hood, and 4 or 5 scratches on the door panels, again they are minor, but noticeable upon close inspection. I'm not looking to spend $3,000 for a new paint job. Is it an option to go to a paint shop and have it detailed/buffed/professionally waxed and have these swirl marks and chips/scratches taken care of for good?

I've heard some "Detail" shops use a temporary filler for the paint, and after a few washes it will come out and your swirly marks and scratches will show again, so it's a "temporary" fix. I definitely don't want to waste my money on that. Is it possible to fix this without a complete repaint job?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

use mcguires swirl-x and scratch-x 2.0.... swirlx for the swirls and scratchx for the scratches on the doors...

and for the rock chips, nothing you can really do there unless you wish to spend money on a whole new hood paint job... just wax them good so they wont rust, and then when it gets too bad pay to have it fixed.

i have quite a bit on my car and even some that have gotten on the roof but theres really nothing that can be done without making it look messy

Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A good detailer should be able to get that all out properly by treating your clear coat with some special attention.

As long as your swirls and scratches aren't deep they can be fixed with a good detailing.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:28 PM

yes swrils will come out, this just means you where rushing. Next time take ur time man and the rusults will speak for them selfs

Old 10-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

or you had something on your wax pad...make sure its clean but use some scratch-x and work it out slowly, only do small spots at a time

Old 10-09-2009, 11:18 PM

To solve the problem:
1)Wash car Two times
2)3M Rubbing compound
3)3M Machine Polish
4)Liquid Glass Polish
5) Let liquid glass polish cure for a few hours
6) Wax w/ Jax Wax
7) Let it cure for a few hours
8) Re-wax
9) Use sealent

Remember to use a two bucket system when washing and to use a grit guard in each bucket. Use a Groute sponge when wiping. Apply no pressure when you wash your car. Remember, women like there skin gently rubbed. When you have clean water on the sponge, "rag" it out on to the paint to use as a lube. With these steps you will get paint smoother than Water as long as you do it right and take your time. If you use megliars, only use the professional line. 3m is worth every penny. I beleive the rubbing compund is $33, Machiene polish $36, Liquid Glass $22, Jax Wax $24ish .

Last edited by PINKFLOYD_; 10-09-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:36 AM

What should I use to wash the car with? Currently I use a car sponge...that might be a bad idea, should I use a soft rag or something?

And what is the 3M rubbing compound and 3M machine polish? I've never heard of those, and I don't know where to get them.

And where do I get liquid glass polish and Jax wax at? I've never seen or heard of those, but they do look like they do a mighty fine job. And what should I use to wax it with? Currently I have a wax pad that I got from my turtlewax ICE, it seems to work okay. Then I dry the car with a soft microfiber towel.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM

I've been using liquid class for over 20 years. I have yet to find a wax that matches its ability to withstand the elements.

My advance auto carries Liquid glass. Google it, you should find it close.

Last edited by 03SSdriver; 10-12-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-12-2009, 11:06 PM

I start with 3M Buffing Compound on my Makita buffer with a cutting pad, followed by using 3M Swirl Mark Remover with a lighter pad. I have yet to find a product that works as good as 3M's for buffing, it is very workable and never seems to "gum" up. Use many detail cloths to wipe away the excess compound if one falls on the ground, grab another. After the swirl mark remover hand wax with Liquid Glass wax. Finally touch up any moldings and vinyl pieces with Wizards Vinyl Shine and painted surfaces with Wizards Mist and Shine. Just the products that I've found have worked the best. I know Advance stocks Liquid Glass, as far as Wizards products and 3M products, go to your local auto body supply store.

P.S. I would hesitate using a wash mit/sponge for washing cars, usually that is the number one thing related to picking up wash scratches which can only be taken out by buffing. Try just a powerwasher on the soap setting.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 AM

I've found liquid glass wax and liquid glass polish. Should I use both? One or the other?

Quick Reply: Exterior Detailing, fix this?