General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

PoWer WinDow SwiTch

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Default PoWer WinDow SwiTch

anyone kno how to take off that piece on the driver side to change the switch?...ive tryed but it seems lik ima break something...is it that difficult?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Default RE: PoWer WinDow SwiTch

Hi `Eric,
You didn't post what year your Monte Carlo was ?
I found the below in my file search.
I hope it helps, until one of our MCF member experts
reads your post & responds.
Good Luck, from `Space
[:-]
How do you remove the driver's side power window switch unit in order to replace it on a 1999 Monte Carlo?\"
I just finished replacing the driver's side power window switch unit on my 1998 Monte Carlo. It took about 15 minutes, and if I knew what I was doing and had a bit more confidence, I could have done it in 3 minutes. It took me twice as long to make this post than it did to replace the switch.
+ Notice that the plastic trim piece around the switch has a little notch at the bottom (at the "six o'clock position", if you will) where that piece rests on top of the inside door panel. That notch is just big enough to insert a medium-sized flathead screwdriver, which is exactly what you will need to do to unsnap it out of place.
+ There is another, identical snap on the opposite side of this one (at the "twelve o'clock position"), but there is no notch for a flathead screwdriver.
+ What worked for me was to use a phillips screwdriver to remove the one screw behind the inside door handle, and then remove the plate behind the door handle (the power lock switch will come off as well as it is attached to this piece).
+ With the plate behind the door handle removed, I found it easier to can get at and release the other snap on the power window switch from the bottom.
+ With a little tugging, you can now lift the whole switch (and its faceplate) up from its cavity.
+ With a small flat head screwdriver, remove the wiring harness from the bottom of the switch.
+ With a tiny flat head screwdriver, remove the faceplate from the old switch (it snaps in 4 places).
+ Now, plug in the new switch, turn on the car, make sure it works, turn off the car, and put everything back the way you found it.
If I could have, I would have taken pictures and posted them here. I used the following site as a reference when I replaced the driver's side power window switch unit on my 1998 Monte Carlo: http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/G...tor/index.html
The power window switch is GM Part number 88894538 and it fits 1996-1999 Monte Carlos.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:08 PM

take the door pannel off.
if your talking the whole peice there then you ahve to take out the screws from the back side to get it out and then it clips in to the pannel

For just the switch.

take off the door pannel
flip it up side down and take off the wires
the switch it's self jus tclips in to place there and you will not have to take anythign out to get to it.
But it has like a butter fly style clip you need to put your hand on one side and push it down slightly and then relese the switch so that it will pop out of tehre fo rya.

Now this is on a 03 SS

Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 PM

If your car is a '99, Good luck getting that door panel off. You're braver than I. lol.