FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: TECH GUIDE: Monte Carlo SS Sunroof track problem... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Great job man!
The pictures and detailed step by step instructions are exactly what makes for the perfect
"how to" presentation. Your attention to details with caution notes is something rarely seen in a book.
I assume you didn't have to deal with timing adjustment since you pretty much replaced the sunroof as a unit?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:06 PM

Thanks!

Correct. I did not touch the timing but rather replaced the entire unit with motor.

Old 01-14-2023, 12:40 PM
Default Sunroof Leaking

Hey everyone, I know this is an older thread and my problem is only somewhat related to the original post, but was hoping to get some help/advice:

The sunroof on my ‘01 Monte Pace Car has been leaking for weeks and nobody could pinpoint the issue. (Water dripping through buttons of the overhead Homelink Console/Unit.) Kept getting usual advice from local shops that the drains probably needed clearing out. Did that, and it didn’t help. Lo and behold, I took down the front portion of the headliner just a bit to reveal the components shown in the above posts & videos, and there is the off-white tube that snakes through the motor area and it has a hairline crack in it and when test-pouring water into the center channel of the sunroof to test the drains, that hose leaks water from the hairline crack. (I’ve highlighted what I’m talking about from screenshots of that 3rd video above for the sunroof removal.)

I don’t know much about this stuff so 1) What is the purpose of that particular hose? 2) How should I stop the leak? Are there other components that need to be replaced with that hose? Is it difficult to replace? Or should I just try to seal up the crack somehow (tape? silicone?) and leave it be? Thank you!!!

(The red highlights the hose I’m referring to, the purple is where the hairline crack is.)

Old 02-09-2024, 12:14 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by plumbob
Hey Primaryw.
Great write up up and videos. It's a real asset to the forum to see whats under the headliner and the sunroof components.
I'd like to add some insight to your problem though. The sunroof is actually a very complicated mechanism full of synchronized automation called the Sunroof Position Encoding System, in which each component works in concert with each other.
In review of your problem description it's hard to tell what went wrong first, but at some time the opening or closing process one of the components failed causing a chain of events that damaged other components. One of those components is called the Sunroof encoding positioning module. I believe one of those wheels shown in the photo is one that travels along the track during the opening/closing and strikes a pin signaling the actuator that the sunroof has reached that position and to move on to the next mode of the opening/closing process. If the encoding module is malfunctioning or the pin or wheel is out of adjustment or broken that signal is not relayed, hence failure and damage to associated components is inevitable. Proper adjustment of the timing pins which are a special Kent-Moore tool is critical in achieving proper alignment.
I've attached some guides, some from the factory service manual to help illustrate what I'm talking about. I've never personally had to work on a sunroof, but reviewed a similar problem described by a fellow member in the past and upon review of my factory service manual I learned how the system works.

Hope this helps. Please follow up with your success story including more great photos and videos. Thanks again for the contribution.
Thanks for Advance in Advise

Last edited by Kawiksolo; 02-09-2024 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Words editd