Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 ss sunroof stuck open!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Default 04 ss sunroof stuck open!!!

Hey everyone, I have a BIG problem with my power sunroof/moonroof. It is stuck WIDE OPEN! The motor is getting power, runs good but the roof won't close. I cleaned and greased the tracks. It slides about an inch back or forth and won't close any further.. I would be satisfied just getting it closed and not using it after that. PLEASE somebody HELP! I love my car and won't give up on it, but I'm not paying $1000 bucks to fix a sunroof on a car thats worth $4000.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking

Wow that is a situation, I have had several with sunroofs all GM. so if you have power and the motor operates. The there has to be something that is causing it to stop in the track area, debris or something is bent maybe.
Have you tried operating the button and then maybe assist it some with your hands. Pushing it. The motor has to be in the front of the window near the switch there could be a broken part under there causing it to stop.
Next I would consult the Youtube and see if you can find a repair for GM moonroof. I will check and if I find a link I will attach it.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking

Wow that is a situation, I have had several with sunroofs all GM. so if you have power and the motor operates. The there has to be something that is causing it to stop in the track area, debris or something is bent maybe.
Have you tried operating the button and then maybe assist it some with your hands. Pushing it. The motor has to be in the front of the window near the switch there could be a broken part under there causing it to stop.
Next I would consult the Youtube and see if you can find a repair for GM moonroof. I will check and if I find a link I will attach it.
Here is some information I found on the Internet.
If the motor makes a quick noise when you try and use the switch this is an indication that electronically or electrically all the inputs are going to the motor to operate the roof. Usually what happens is the slide tracks or the cable gets jammed or broken. At this point the only way you're going to be able to get the roof closed is by unbolting the two bolts to the drive motor and pull it down about a quarter of an inch. If you remove the inner ring that holds the headliner to the sheet metal usually you can get your hands in with a 10 mm wrench or socket and remove the two bolts that hold the drive motor to the sunroof drive cable gears. Once the motor gear mechanism is disengaged from the slide track cable this normally will allow you to grab the roof and pull it forward enough to get it closed. In order to repair this entire sunroof assembly has to be removed. This can only be done by basically removing all the interior trim panels and the roof lining.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/2vp...#ixzz3WG1gBNtV

This last link is for a Tahoe roof but they are Chevy and I would suspect very similar. Check it out.. Hope this all helps.

Last edited by drivernumber3; 04-03-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: add a link
Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is anything obstructing the sun roof path? My Monte had a problem that the previous owner busted the guides for the sunshade, if I was not careful, my shade could get lodged in a way to stop the rood from closing.
I have since fixed that problem with a new shade.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Is anything obstructing the sun roof path? My Monte had a problem that the previous owner busted the guides for the sunshade, if I was not careful, my shade could get lodged in a way to stop the rood from closing.
I have since fixed that problem with a new shade.
my shade is stuck won't budge, my sunroof closes, but not all the way down , I can hear wind noise when driving..do you know how to get the shade to move? Thanks

Old 12-08-2017, 04:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can try playing with the clips that hold the shade in it's track. On my Monte, the shade was never "stuck", but my Grand Am has a problem if I slide the shade back too far, something happens and it's stuck. Two fixes on the Grand Am it to try messing with the shade to pivot it front/back and gently pull forward in hopes it gets unstuck. That usually works. The last time, I opened the sunroof so I could release the front of the shade from the track and suddenly I was able to gently slide it forward after a second of messing with it and then put the front guides back in the track.