Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Wheel Offsets and Lips: Pics Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Wheel Offsets and Lips: Pics Please!

Hey MCF, it's been quite a while since I had some steady participation on the forum. That's certainly going to change now that I am home from college for the summer. I have a number of upcoming projects to address.

One of my initial concerns has to do with putting new wheels on the Monte to replace the old knock-offs, which were bent on two or three wheels and simply appeared used. I intend to pick up a set of four that are very similar in style to the old ones. However, I have some questions...

- Should I get wheels with a chrome lip on all four? Only on the front two? The back two? (I'm not even sure which of the latter two options are even popular.)

- Should I get fatter tires in the rear? Larger tires in the rear? (For looks.)

- Should I get a larger offset in the rear to bump out the tires farther from the fenders of the car?

- How can I fill out the wheel well more? (My 19s leave greater gap than my stock 16s.)

If any of you have any advice with or without pictures of your own whips or ones on the 'net, I always greatly appreciate it!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:19 PM

Bump!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your 19s shouldn't leave a larger gap. Unless you changed the overall diameter of the tires, which is the wrong way to do it.

I would get matching tires all the way around. On a FWD car you really don't want to stagger the rear wheels larger. You also want to make sure that you can rotate your tires for longer life.

Also, if you were to have a blowout on one of the front tires, you would really want to put a tire from the rear to the front, and then put the spare donut on the rear instead.

If you want to ditch the gap, you need to lower.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Your 19s shouldn't leave a larger gap. Unless you changed the overall diameter of the tires, which is the wrong way to do it.

I would get matching tires all the way around. On a FWD car you really don't want to stagger the rear wheels larger. You also want to make sure that you can rotate your tires for longer life.

Also, if you were to have a blowout on one of the front tires, you would really want to put a tire from the rear to the front, and then put the spare donut on the rear instead.

If you want to ditch the gap, you need to lower.
I'll probably lower it, same size all around then. They were 245/35 19s. I can't remember if this size works out or if something seemed amiss according to the forum.

I'll keep the same size all the way around. Gotta figure out the lips though.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 AM

Bump!