Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

What would you recommend...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Question What would you recommend...

I know this is a touchy subject on here ok, so first off Thank You in advance to those who are willing to offer genuine advice on this topic regardless to your personal opinions.
Im putting rims on my 6gen SS, being that Im FULLY aware of the problems it may cause Id like to attempt to prevent some of them if possible. Suspension is of the most critical parts of the car affected when adding rims so...

My questions is:
1. What suspension upgrades would you recomend prior to adding larger rims? Ill upgrade in phases IF there is alot I need, so please suggest in phases.

PLEASE recommend parts as such: A. MANDATORY parts needed (the must have),
B. Recommended Parts (will eventually need), C. Optional parts.

Im all ears to all suggestions and advice. Thank You again.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 PM

it's mandatory you'll need tools

hope this helps

Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 AM

Thanks jimbo7 I really appreciate your expertise on that one

Originally Posted by jimbo7
it's mandatory you'll need tools

hope this helps

Old 06-29-2010, 02:07 AM

If someone would like to offer real possible solutions Id be much obliged to hear them

Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 AM

well first off, im not an expert when i comes to this, but people are going to have to know (im sure) what size rim your planning on using. and how wide it is, if its going to stick out/ offset, whatnot. and are you planning on lifting it a little? or shaving the wheel wells. personally, i would reccommend shaved wheel wells because they look better. but thats my preference

Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you are going for a bigger rim, you are adding more weight most likely. You'll have a harder time stopping, so you'll want to look into a brake upgrade. Also adding that stress to the transmission isn't good, so maybe look into a transmission cooler.

If you are going to have the rims + tires be higher than stock ratios, then you'll want to look at getting a stiffer spring / strut.

Good time to check your current suspension and make sure it's all working well. Make sure all the bushings are in tact and not starting to rot away, etc.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:31 PM

Hey Lucian thanks. Great idea I heard story of guys doing that before, espcially guys that race certain cars. Great Idea Ill look into it. I wouldnt dare go larger than 22s btw. If you have anymore recomendations thank you in advance.

Originally Posted by lucian*91
well first off, im not an expert when i comes to this, but people are going to have to know (im sure) what size rim your planning on using. and how wide it is, if its going to stick out/ offset, whatnot. and are you planning on lifting it a little? or shaving the wheel wells. personally, i would reccommend shaved wheel wells because they look better. but thats my preference

Last edited by sinceire; 06-30-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM

Ok thanks man I thought about a brake and the suspension. I considered like you said an upgraded upper and lower bushing arms. That cooler is a good one, diddnt think of that one. If you guys see any deals on anything let me know. Ima just use google. I dont know of any good auto part sites.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If you are going for a bigger rim, you are adding more weight most likely. You'll have a harder time stopping, so you'll want to look into a brake upgrade. Also adding that stress to the transmission isn't good, so maybe look into a transmission cooler.

If you are going to have the rims + tires be higher than stock ratios, then you'll want to look at getting a stiffer spring / strut.

Good time to check your current suspension and make sure it's all working well. Make sure all the bushings are in tact and not starting to rot away, etc.