Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Who's owned a manual? Would you recommend it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:02 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Who's owned a manual? Would you recommend it?

Hi guys... for about a year, I've been thinking about getting a new car. Still looking at a 2011 or newer Mustang... and the manual transmission V6 models are always about $2-3k cheaper. And I know a lto of people say when you have a choice, and if you're a true car guy, you should take a manual. Well, should I?

I mean, if I get tied up in a 60 month car payment deal, would I still be happy with that as a daily driver in 3 years? Could I live with it?

and I have driven manuals for firends and liked it when I did, but never owend one... does it get old after a while, or does the fun never end?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

If you are in alot of traffic often, probably wouldn't be a good idea

Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 PM

5 Year Member

AS of now, I live in the country and commute through the country.... might move in 5 years though.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

most of the people i know that have one love it and to them it never gets old. hell my mother's isuzu trooper is a 5 speed and it's one of her favorite vehicles of all time.

BTW i want that F100, when did you get that??

Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've been daily driving a manual for 2.5 years now. Doesn't get old, it's just second nature now. And I'm in traffic a bunch too. No big deal.

At least for the Camaro. If you wanted a posi you need the manual, so it was a no brainer for me.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 PM

5 Year Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm a little leary of getting a used car with a manual... never know how the previous owner treated it.

Originally Posted by skylark65

BTW i want that F100, when did you get that??

I got it in December, I still have a few touches to get it on the road and reliable.

If you want one, go out west. I was on a trip out west on Route 66 in mid-late June and after you get to western Oklahoma, and all the way to California.. there is one of those trucks in every town... just wander around until you find one with an owner willing to sell...

And the dry climates out there mean no rust

(A guy in a gun shop of all places told me there were so many extended cab long beds because they ride better with heavy loads and horse trailers attached).

Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I drove an s10 with a stick for about 10 years and I never got sick of it. After a while you don't even notice a difference. After a while of driving youll be lifting your foot for the clutch and reaching for the shifter in an automatic. lol

Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A manual is easier to fix than an abused auto haha

Old 07-31-2013, 08:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
Cool

I wish!
I could drive a stick again.. Every vehicle I ever owned...the majority were sticks!
Maintenance is cheaper, easier..
Eventually, you will learn to "speed" shift one..
Which I did...often..its easy on the trans, clutch ,leg in traffic...etc... When it's done correctly.. You won't damage the syncros ... Or the gears! Fuel mileage, performance advantage.
Shall I go on?...
That's my 2 cents !!!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 AM

Hi `Duane,
I love driving stick & feel I have more control over my driving. With stick you can choose the gears you want & not a automatic device that picks the gear.

Yes, standard transmission are a lot cheaper to repair + they can be upgraded with a stronger clutch/lightweight flywheel etc...

Plus many standard transmissions have short shifter kits that shorten the throws to each gear...

I know that automatic transmissions have improved & some have sequential shifts controls, but I still prefer a short shifter standard shift.....

Keep us updated on what you decide & what vehicle you get..
Good Luck on finding one that you will love & enjoy driving & paying for....

Quick Reply: Who's owned a manual? Would you recommend it?