Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

What Struts & Rotors to buy good quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Default What Struts & Rotors to buy good quality

Hello all, new to this forum.[8D] Looking for quality parts & brand of struts and front rotors are best to buy for my 03 Monte. I was reading, somewhere, awhile back that the Gabriel struts are not of good quality . Has anyone replaced using KYB’s? Also I have lived with the factory rotors being warped since the second year of buying the Monte new. So anyone that have updated with new rotors; I would like to know which rotors you are using and are you having warping issues again? If I go with drilled and slotted disks will this prevent the warping problem that these new Chevys seam to be prone to? Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Old 03-29-2008, 07:21 AM
Default RE: What Struts & Rotors to buy good quality

I don't have any experience with struts (yet), but I did just replaced pads/rotors on all four corners of my '99 Z34. I used Bendix rotors. These are made inAmerica and are less prone to warping the first time you must brake hard. My last set of rotors were an off brand and they warped pretty quickly. As far as pads, if you have the cash, Raybestos...That's just my opinion though...no scientific research to back that up. ) Good Luck and I hope that other forum members can answer your question! Also, WELCOME to the forum!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 PM

I'm curious about this rotor brand thing too. I talked the dealer down $600 because mine are warped; I'm not a stranger to brake jobs.

But with all the reading I did prior to buying it, it seems like this car is really prone to warping- so I'd like to hear any suggestions for brands as well as the first poster- sorry for resurrecting the post if it's a problem.

There's a substantial difference in cost between, say, Bendix and Raybestos & Wearever brands- something on the order of $70 per disc if the online price is correct. (Advance Auto Parts east coast.)

Is there anything else out of the ordinary I should think of replacing on a 2002 SS with 39k on it? I know to replace brake kits if pivot bolts and hardware are getting cruddy- but anything strange to keep in mind on these cars?

Any advice is appreciated!

~Savage

Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

brakes definetely Raybestos (best name in brakes) you can get a set of Ceramic or Fully Ceramic pads for you car for a decent price, i can give you price ranges if you want, but they're canadian, so they'll be a lot cheaper in the states...same with the rotors, if your looking to go cross drilled then raybestos makes those, good price too, or just regular rotors you should be able to pick up a decent set for 20-30 bucks a rotor

as for the struts there's a few good names out there, monroe is good (with their quick strut it saves a lot of work, spring mount and strut already to pop in, but they're pricey), kyb's i've heard good things about too, but i dont sell those

as for gabriel i would stay away from them...not too many good things to say about them

Old 04-23-2008, 02:36 PM

To add on to what Wiz said, I would also stay away from Monroe's "Sensatrac" model, unless you don't mind getting a significantly harsher ride when your done. KYB's do seem to be the most liked.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah, the sensatracs you feel a lot more, their reflexs are better, and quick struts are good too

Old 04-23-2008, 03:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

KYB's

Old 05-11-2008, 07:22 PM

KYB, for the struts (although I have no direct experience with them on a Monte, Please see my post in special handling package)
As for the brake rotor warping, install a set of cross drilled rotors, that will stop the warping (this is why they come standard on Vettes, BMW, Mercedes etc) I've seen other people post that slotted
work better, not to bash anybody, look at any road race car, they ALL use cross drilled not slotted rotors (or carbon/carbon rotors but whose got that kind of cash)
I have purchaced 5 sets of cross drilled rotors for all my cars and a friends 06 hemi charger from a guy on e bay all came with pads (ceramic on my 04 monte) and were very reasonable on price and shipping (I'll try to find his e bay name and post back with it if anyone is interested) and have had no problems with them for about 2 years now

Aaron

Old 05-11-2008, 07:32 PM

His e bay id is brakemotive76 and his e bay store is brakemotive
check it out

Aaron