Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Do You Know the Age of your Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Do You Know the Age of your Tires ?

[align=center]Your tires are the only thing that touch[/align][align=center]the pavement![/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Do you know the age of your tires ?[/align][align=center]ABC has a special about tire safety & state that[/align][align=center]tires over 6 years old can be dangerous ?[/align][align=center]Below is information on how to[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]
Determining the Age of a Tire[/align][align=center]Click on below link[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire
When it comes to determining the age of a tire, it is easy to identify when a tire was manufactured by reading its Tire Identification Code (serial number). ...
www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?tec... - 55k - Similar pages
[/align][align=center][:-]
abc7chicago.com: Aged tires sold as 'new' by big retailers 5...
An ABC News hidden camera investigation found tires as old as 12 years old for sale ... Research and tests show that as tires age, they begin to dry out and ...
abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/national_... - 51k -
Similar pages
[/align][align=center][color=#000000][color=white][font="times new roman"][color=#0000ff][color=white][font="times new roman"][size=5][color=#0000ff] An ABC News hidden camera investigation found tires as old as 12 years old for sale.
[font="times new roman"]Wish the reader of this post[/fo

Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
Default RE: Do You Know the Age of your Tires ?

Just put new tires on about 2 weeks ago.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 AM

wow, i hope those people that ripped customers off with those"new" tires goto jail for a long time

Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Taz

Just put new tires on about 2 weeks ago.
Mod `Taz, I know that they are new to you,
but did you check the datecode on your new tires
to see when they were made/produced.
The old Honda Accord I'm using had tires put on it a year
ago, and I checked the tires, and the code reflects
that they were made 5 years ago : (
I think it's worth checking, and I think it's to late
when you are out on that lonely highways doing
100 MPH +
I believe in good tires on my rides : )
I wonder how many member's will check to see when
their tires were made ?
What tires did you buy for your Monte `Mod Taz ?
When were they made/born/produced ?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:26 AM

how do u check the code on your tires space d00d? my tires are less then 1yr old to me. 1 of them was bad and seperated while driving so that concerned me about the other 3.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Hi `Chris,
Go to my first post of this thread,
and click on link to tire rack, it explains
the complicated formula to give you the week/year
the tire was made.
To me it's worth the time to check, especially for
Hot Rodder like `you ....LOL
Wish U a Safe `Journey on your Highways of Life.
4 Sure,
Peace/Out/from `Space : )

Old 05-12-2008, 11:35 AM

lmao me a hot rodder? ok i admit ive been racing all the harleys down here for the past few days and ill continue till next sunday but naaah i just got a slow pathetic 5th gen lmao.

and god my tires are flipping old im leaving right this second and im gonna confront the tire store for this one

Old 05-12-2008, 11:48 AM

well i'm sure cooper cs4's haven't been around for more the 5 years. but even if they have the guy that sold them to my dad i know personally (meaning i've golfed with him ) so i'm sure he wouldn't screw me

Old 05-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Well he may not intentionally screw you....If I found the right number, my tripletreds are 7 yrs old and I bought them back in November of '07.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 PM

[align=center]Hi `Members,[/align][align=center]Beside taking online college courses, I sure keep learning alot[/align][align=center]from being online.I never knew that you also[/align][align=center]have to Break your New Tires `in : )
Did you know this ? or am I just way behind in my
[/align][align=center]automotive knowledge ? : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align]
Breaking In Your Tires
[align=center]Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together. It is also important to note that your old tires probably had very little tread depth remaining when you felt it was time to replace them. As any autocrosser or racer who has tread rubber shaved off of his tires will tell you, low tread depth tires respond quicker."Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down.[/align][align=center]NOTE: Be careful whenever you explore the capabilities of your new tires. Remember that [/align]

Quick Reply: Do You Know the Age of your Tires ?