Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Rotor replacement on '04 LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rotor replacement on '04 LS

Hi everyone.
I'm about to replace the stock rotors with drilled/slotted rotors (I know... lots of different opinions but I like the look, not hard on brakes, my money :-) ).
I've replaced brake rotors on my '93 chevy truck before (two bolts behind the caliper, pull off caliper, pads are installed with tabs that either slide into the round part (inboard but I just can't remember the part name lol) or slides over metal tabs on the outboard.
Is replacing rotors on the '04 just as easy for caliper removal and pad replacement? I was looking at painting the calipers at the same time.
Thanks for your opinions.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Default RE: Rotor replacement on '04 LS

Yep, just as easy. I changed mine, adding the crossdrilled rotors, carbon fiber pads, and stainless brake lines.I highly recommend the steel lines if you can afford them. They are around $100. Be sure to clean the new rotors with brake cleaner and keep your hands clean when handling them.

I also painted my calipers while they were off. They have a caliper painting kit, but it is expensive. I just bought a couple of cans of brake cleaner and a couple of cans of high heat engine enamal paint. The brake cleaner, rags, and a wire brush cleaned the calipers easily. The project took me the better part of a day, but some of that time was waiting on the paint to dry. You can see a picture in my gallery of the completed project.

Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

brakes are easy. I just installed cross drilled/slotted rotors and hawk hps pads a month ago. All you have to do is remove 4 bolts per wheel and thats it.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member

4 bolts? I thought only two held the caliper, per wheel. I'm assuming it's those special type of bolts too that almost look like a hex bolt (but not a hex.. just the type of head on the bolt). Then there are the lug nuts anyways to add to the mix:-)
Well, I'll find out soon enough. Will be a good time to do a wheel rotation too.
Thanks for the info.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

ORIGINAL: sorcier11

4 bolts? I thought only two held the caliper, per wheel. I'm assuming it's those special type of bolts too that almost look like a hex bolt (but not a hex.. just the type of head on the bolt). Then there are the lug nuts anyways to add to the mix:-)
Well, I'll find out soon enough. Will be a good time to do a wheel rotation too.
Thanks for the info.
two to get the caliper out to change the pads, two to get the caliper bracket out to change the rotors.