Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Rims installation question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rims installation question

So I checked out tirerack.com and thoroughly enjoyed the site. I loved seeing my silver MC modelled with new rims. It almost made me cry knowing that it would be too long before I could save up for (or justify) buying new ones. I currently have the stock tires with plastic hubcaps. It's difficult to see in my sig picture, but the paint on said hubcaps is chipping off, revealing ugly yellow/gray plastic. After seeing decent rims on my buddy's mazda protege, I fell in love and hope to outfit my vehicle with 16-18 inchers.

So when you buy new wheels/tires (I'm assuming you have to buy them together), do you need a professional garage to be able to install/align them yourself? Is it possible to haul them to a tire shop and have them install them for you? What steps would be involved after purchasing four new tires with rims, to driving down the road with them?

Also, is it taboo to buy painted rims? Will the paint chip over time revealing ugliness?

Thanks,

Old 11-18-2007, 06:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
Default RE: Rims installation question

#1 RULE IN INSTALLING TIRES ON THESE CARS. NEVER USE AN IMPACT WRENCH. USE A TORQUE WRENCH SET AT 100# AND CHECK THEM AGAIN AFTER 50 MILES. Then again at 100 miles.
Rule #2. See rule #1.
Improper tightening is the #1 reason for warping btake rotors. If a wheel feels out of balance after a fresh mount, loosen and re-torque the wheels again.
Rule #3. Chrome rims are touchy, and the balancing requires stick-on wheel weights. Any GOOD tire shop that sells aftermarket wheels should be able to mount and balance them for you.
You should be able to buy a 1/2" torque wrench for under $30, and while at it get a 2-ended lug socket for GM vehicles. They are metric, something like 18 and 20mm. A 6" extension is needed, also.
Colored rims are fine, if thats what you like. They are probably not painted, but powder coated.
By the way, read rule #1 again.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member

I don't think colored rims quite my thing. I'm more concerned about ones with silver paint, verses just a silver finish. Basically I don't want to run into the same situation I'm in with chipped silver paint on my hubcaps.

So I take it installing the new wheeles is just like mounting a spare, except with precise torque? That is, I can buy the tools necessary and just use the jack in my trunk?

Old 11-18-2007, 05:20 PM

Pretty sure they would have to be balanced and aligned so you'll get even wear out of them.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: joemccall86

So I checked out tirerack.com and thoroughly enjoyed the site. I loved seeing my silver MC modelled with new rims. It almost made me cry knowing that it would be too long before I could save up for (or justify) buying new ones. I currently have the stock tires with plastic hubcaps. It's difficult to see in my sig picture, but the paint on said hubcaps is chipping off, revealing ugly yellow/gray plastic. After seeing decent rims on my buddy's mazda protege, I fell in love and hope to outfit my vehicle with 16-18 inchers.

So when you buy new wheels/tires (I'm assuming you have to buy them together), do you need a professional garage to be able to install/align them yourself? Is it possible to haul them to a tire shop and have them install them for you? What steps would be involved after purchasing four new tires with rims, to driving down the road with them?

Also, is it taboo to buy painted rims? Will the paint chip over time revealing ugliness?

Thanks,
Paint will chip, chrome will chip, machined & clear coated will turn white if clear is broken & polished will ding & cost you hours to keep looking good. If you buy wheels & tires from one place let them put them on, most will do it for free or a small charge......they made their money on the sale. If you take them some where else they will charge you up the butt so they can get a part of the action because they didn't sell them to you.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: joemccall86

I don't think colored rims quite my thing. I'm more concerned about ones with silver paint, verses just a silver finish. Basically I don't want to run into the same situation I'm in with chipped silver paint on my hubcaps.

So I take it installing the new wheeles is just like mounting a spare, except with precise torque? That is, I can buy the tools necessary and just use the jack in my trunk?
Not sure what you mean with silver paint vs silver finish. Any kind of wheel can get chewed up. As far as the torque wrench thing, I would bet 90% of shops don't use them, just hit it with the impact gun.