Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): New Hubs/Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Smile New Hubs/Bearings

Well it's a beautiful morning here, just under the Windy city of Chicago. Got a little tree to work under and gonna get the new hub on the drivers side done today!!
My first problem is the 36mm socket, I have all standard tools, I figure 1 7/16" is real close but does any body know if it'll work? I have a set of 3/4" drive that gets larger in 1/16ths....I hate to ruin it but I hate to have to go buy a new tool I'll only use once.
I read my Haynes book, looked @ the pics on the net from here, looks simple so far...except-
in the pics it comes right out, I think it'll need to be beaten out or use a gear puller.
I just did one on my Silverado and it wasn't bad @ all but it wasn't front wheel drive either...does that make a differance?
If it is stuck...I was reading about being careful w/ taking out the drive shaft, the older ones the shaft comes out, the newer ones it's supposed to stay.
What Generation MC SS do I own? I am a little confused about this, could someone explain it to me?
How do I post pics? My lil box @ the bottom says "you may NOT post attachments"
GTG
Mouse

Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You own a 6th Generation Monte Carlo. 2000-2007 is a technical 6th, on the forum we call 2000-2005 6th and 2006-2007 a 7th.

I would DEFINITELY buy an axle nut socket. Close enough won't do it, this thing is on there with 159ft/lbs of torque. And you will want to put it back on there with the proper TQ setting. If you don't have the exact correct size you are going to risk rounding it out.

The spline of the drive shaft is what the axle nut is on and the hub assembly goes over it, if you take a hammer and a block of wood you can put the block of wood on the end of the axle and give it a tap to move it in towards the engine. That is safe to do, it can move a little bit. You shouldn't have to remove the shaft at all.

The hub is most likely going to be pretty seized on the knuckle, It might require a little help with a hammer to break it free. Just be careful

If you haven't already, here is the thread I made when I swapped out my hub assembly>>>>> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...ssembly-33657/

I explained in the other thread, you haven't hit the post requirements yet to be able to post an attachment, but you can go to photobucket.com and create a free account. Upload your pictures to photobucket and then grab the IMG Code tags and drop them in the box that you type and the picture will show up.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 PM

Just wanted to post an update. The disassemble was a breeze! After I took the bearing out I found the tie-rod was shot so it's back to the Auto Zone!! :0

Old 03-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's worthe it to bu the socket. It's like 15 bucks at Auto zone and you'll use it a few times. These Hubs going bad is a common problem. After replacing the tirod make sure to get a front end alignment. Enjoy the project.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 PM

I got my 1 3/8" to fit as snug as a 36mm, no problems there. I finished up the one side so fast I did the other side after dinner. I did miss a thread or 2 so I'll have to take it back apart in the morning and screw it in a little. Even w/ the threads off a little what a big change!! drives smooth as a Caddy now!
Inbetween the work on the car, I made dinner, did a project w/ my son and had a nice fight w/ the X ) It was a nice day!!
Mouse