Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

trac light and abs problem, already installed new hubs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM
1 Year Member
Default trac light and abs problem, already installed new hubs...

as the title says, i was having issues with the trac light and abs having an issue and tripping the lights, usually in wet/snow/slush conditions and hard accelerations in dry condidtions. had it for over a year. there was grinding and such that started recently so i put on 2 brand new front hubs last weekend.

well, we havent had much wet conditions since i replaced them, but i am certainly still having the lights come on when i accelerate hard from a stop or from a roll.

this will happen even if i have turned of trac on my own (with the button on the console).

does anyone have any ideas on this one?

it never happened under hard acceleration before my top swap and i do not get any SES codes or anything.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it's only coming on when you accelerate hard it is normal. Your tires are trying to break traction and the traction control is trying to prevent it. The light comes on to let you know the traction system is active.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:18 AM
1 Year Member

it should turn off, but it doesnt, it stays on.

the light for "service traction system" comes on, abs light comes one, trac off light comes on.

abs light will turn off after about 15 secs, as does the service trac system MIL, but the trac off light stays on. it cannot be turned off by pressing the trac button on the console.

pretty possitive that this is not normal.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:29 AM
1 Year Member

sorry, i didnt explain the issue more clearly in my OP, this is not the normal breaking the tires loose issue.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by vikesfan
it should turn off, but it doesnt, it stays on.

the light for "service traction system" comes on, abs light comes one, trac off light comes on.

abs light will turn off after about 15 secs, as does the service trac system MIL, but the trac off light stays on. it cannot be turned off by pressing the trac button on the console.

pretty possitive that this is not normal.
If that's the case you may have a bad wheel bearing.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Rear hubs can also set the code, also the wiring harness might just be damaged.

Can you get the ABS code read and see if it is pointing to a hub already replaced (in that case check wiring) or if it's pointing to a rear hub.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:41 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If that's the case you may have a bad wheel bearing.
fronts were replaced with brand new ones.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Rear hubs can also set the code, also the wiring harness might just be damaged.

Can you get the ABS code read and see if it is pointing to a hub already replaced (in that case check wiring) or if it's pointing to a rear hub.

im not sure how the rears are associated to the traction control, i thought it was just the fronts.

i would double check the harness tonight, but when i put the fronts on, all looked fine.

i will also stop at the parts store and check the codes as well.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know it doesn't make sense, but if the wiring or sensor has gone bad on a rear one, it can shut off the system too.

Parts stores might not be equipped to read ABS codes

Old 03-24-2014, 02:01 PM

I replaced a wheel hub cpl weeks ago, because of the ABS issue. The light still stayed on. I looked at my back rotors and they had a rust on them and pads looked low, so I replaced the pads, and seems like maybe a caliper wasn't functioning correct. After I replaced them, ABS immediately went off on its own. May want to look over hubs, calipers and pads.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I know it doesn't make sense, but if the wiring or sensor has gone bad on a rear one, it can shut off the system too.

Parts stores might not be equipped to read ABS codes

the scantool at the local oreilly's does scan abs and all other codes.

Originally Posted by 2002 SS
I replaced a wheel hub cpl weeks ago, because of the ABS issue. The light still stayed on. I looked at my back rotors and they had a rust on them and pads looked low, so I replaced the pads, and seems like maybe a caliper wasn't functioning correct. After I replaced them, ABS immediately went off on its own. May want to look over hubs, calipers and pads.

i know the fronts are slightly low, so i will certainly check those and the rears, however, keep in mind that the traction control system is the main error, and i think that the ABS is a result of the code being thrown for the traction system.

though, i am not sure how low brake pads work on the traction control system.

thanks for all the suggestions, gives me a lot of places to start.

Quick Reply: trac light and abs problem, already installed new hubs...