Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Need Help with brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Default Need Help with brakes

Need some help...I have an 01 MC LS.
So my problem is I pulled the caliper to change the pads on the front and now since the pads are thicker I can't get the caliper back on due to the piston. I've taken both the bleeder valve and the brake hose off and drained whatever fluid was in there and even tried pressing the brakes down to release more but the piston won't budge. I'm not real sure of what I'm doing (first time) but it sounded easy enough on paper. What do I need to do, guys?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Default RE: Need Help with brakes

[align=center]Hi Lance,[/align][align=center]Sorry to read that you are having some problems.[/align][align=center]Maybe the below link may `help, until[/align][align=center]one of our expert member's post their thoughts/knowledge.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Check out the below.[/align][align=center]Replacing Disc Brake Pads
Click below link[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/artic...ticle_id=60246[/align]

Old 12-01-2007, 04:53 PM

Inside the caliper there will be a piston that needs to be pushed back into the caliper. I haven't had to do this for years, but I beleive I left the old brake pad in there and just tightend it up using a C-clamp and it pushed the piston back in.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:19 PM

Yep, a C-clamp would of worked great. I couldn't find one around so I had to use a block of woodto gently beat it in. I got frustrated and didn't know what I was gonna do. Thanks for the help you two.

I didn't make it to the back side yet. I was told I had to have a special tool for the back because the piston has to be twisted back in and not just forced. Know anything about that?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 PM

The back brakes are the same as the front. You only need to remove the two bolts holding the caliper and then the caliper and pads will come out. If they seem to be stuck, depress the caliper piston to free them up. To depress these I have three different ways.

1. The C-Clamp - Caliper in hand.
2. The "BIG" screwdriver. - Works great between the pad, caliper and rotor while still mounted.
3. Channel Locks. Get the big 440 type ,these babies will squeeze the nuts off of Godzillia! Apply between caliper piston and housing.