Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

need help with brakes!!! ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default need help with brakes!!! ASAP!!!

ok here is the deal. you have heard me bitch abotu the warping in the roters. so i changed them out
all but one of them i could get get off the car the front right is on so tight that a impact wrench set on high with over 100psi going to it would not come out of the car and just managed to twist the botl head to where now it has to be cut out. or if you can get a wrench on to it to get it to back out.

but i have a howling comming from me left rear wheel now. and it is intermiting. need to figure this out also.
I replaced the pads and the rotors on all the wheels but the above mentioned.

now they squeall real bad and also are makeing the howling sound i can deal with the squeal as i still need ot bed the brakes to the new rotors and get them to act corectly. but this howl is killing me. it is while im driving and also when making corners.
If i didnt know better i would say it was a rear baerring going out in the car.
any one have a clue on this that can help it would defently be heard and thankful

Old 08-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Default RE: need help with brakes!!! ASAP!!!

If your sure it's not a bearing going out, have you checked to see if you tires are feather edging? There isn't really much else on the back that would cause a howl.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

the only other thing i did when i did this is rotat the tires from front to back. Might see if putting them back on the front will change anything.

but yea i have checked to see if the wear was goign diffrently etc.. nothign .
I will run it out to the dealer ship and have them look at it to i guess i need to get that damed bolt out of it also. so i can replace the front rotor on the pax side. i dont know what monkey put it in there but he has my respect to beabel to get it that tight and not break it off LOL

Old 08-17-2006, 12:21 PM

Just a comment on your brake issues. I assume you had a brake pulsation and that is the reason you installed new rotors. Brake pulsation is caused from thickness variation in the rotors, not warped rotors. Thickness variation is caused by incorrect or uneven wheel nut torque or dirt or rust between rotor and hub mounting surfaces. You will have a repeat of this problem unless you take the steps necessary to correct the cause of thickness variation. Who tightened your wheel nuts so tight that you couldn't get them off? They are most likely the cause of your problem. GM has a very detailed technical bulletin on the cause and correction of brake pulsation. I was a brake engineer for General Motors for 18 years.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

the bolt i was talking about is not actually the wheel lugs those came off easy it is the the cliper bracket that holds the rotor in place so i cant get the old one off to change it to the new one.

this was verry defently a rotor warping i took them off set them on a peice of glass and could run a feeler guage all the way around on them and it would stick in three diffrent spots. I know when it happend even .

It was on a emergency stop on the auto bahn. i was traveling more then 100 when the guy in front of me hit the wal so i had to react and stop fast.

after that they would give a really bad shake to the steering wheel when i would stop. the peddel would give verry little pulsating