Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Monte vibrates-shakes when I accelerate. Please HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I have the same problem however only while accelerating and turning right. While turning left or going straight there is no vibrating/shaking? Do you think I'm having the same problem I'm pretty sure it's not the bearing.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes it could be the axle because it puts a strain on it when you turn.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Default From what I've learned as an Apprentice

From what I've learned @ Hyundai the wheels could be out of balance. Usually a vibration above and between 70-100km/h and steering wheel shake from left to right. Usually a bad tire or a bent wheel could cause a really bad shimmy. I don't know if you guys have access to a balancer but when I mount and balance wheels at work I look directly at the tire to see if there is a wobble in the tire. You'd be surprised how many wheels I've balanced with a wobbly tire and asking for more than 2.5oz weights on 1 side. To diagnose a vibration I'd have the wheels rebalanced after doing a thorough inspection of steering, suspension, & driveshaft components. The next step would be to have the wheels rebalanced. Don't be shy to ask the tech that is balancing your wheels how much they were out and if he/she can put the wheel with more weights in the back that way the shimmy isn't as noticeable. Also, I heard a Hunter Roadforce Balancer is a good machine to balance aftermarket wheels and apparantly its really accurate (about .05 or .10 oz.) When checking wheel bearings raise the wheel off the ground, shake the wheel 12 and 6 oclock and listen for a clicking clunky sound/feeling. From what I've learned from the other Tech's checking inspecting a CV joint (assuming the boots arent torn and moisture hasnt entered the joint) raise the front end and put the car in drive, inspect the CV for play or an off axis rotation (if CV's are the culprit I recommend buying a NEW axle from GM even though its like $600 a piece, I wouldnt settle for an aftermarket Reman). Also inspect motor mounts/bushings/tranny mounts/subframe bushings for looseness or cracking (I Believe that will contribute to a vibration.) Certain steering components/linkages or even a damaged frame can cause a vibration.

For those doing the inspection themselves, raise the car and check everything. Thats where I'd start and than work your way towards the wheels,bearing/axle. I'm open to any input or advice if what I wrote isn't correct.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Mine did the same thing, just had to fix it last week, axle and tie rod end, I get a deal on parts and labor at the dealership, cost me 300 for all that and an alignment.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 AM

Wow, mine just started doing this craziness. It handles just as u mentioned...when cruising no pulsing, but when accelerating there's a pulsing sensation...when hittin corners, especially right corners, there's a feeling that I can't describe, but I know it isn't natural, almost as if something is loose or damaged in the suspension somewhere in the front. Hopefully its just the axles that need replacing, and from how u mentioned your issue with yours, it sounds like the same issue, exactly; either way, gotta get my baby riding right again.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 PM

i have the same problem and I am positive its the axles too. I have been driving on it for a few months lol, but I am gonna throw new axles on third weekend of March

Old 03-04-2012, 04:11 PM

put in a new cv shaft and that should take care of it. thats what i did and it runs like a champ now