Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 ss wont accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Default 01 ss wont accelerate

I just bought a 01 ss and realized the intake manafold had a huge hole in it. I replaced the intake my self and the engine starts now but when I rev or hit the gas it boggs out and won't go over 2krpm, but idles ok, no water in oil, nothing comn out exaust. When I take oil cap off while its ideling, the engine dies, air gets sucked it when cap is released... did I install the new intke wrong or does anybody else know what that could be?

Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like the catalytic converter is clogged to me.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:40 PM

spent 200 on a high flow cat thats my guess, you hit the gas the exhaust is clogged and engine get no hp

thats my guess and either way you will have to change it out soon anyway

Old 10-04-2009, 01:18 AM

I'm interested MONTEDRIVER. Why do you say that he will have to replace the converter soon, anyway? I have a 2001 MC SS also.

As for the original poster, when you purchased that car did you drive it or tow it home? If you drove it was it fairly OK before you noticed the hole in the intake?

At one time some time back, I had a power problem with a '78 Cad Seville bogging out to the point that it would eventually die and wouldn't run for another half hour after sitting by the side of the road. Then it would be OK for another forty or fifty miles and repeat the process. I did notice when I removed the gas cap that there was a tremendous amount of pressure released.

I'm not implying that our problems are identical. I'm referring to the CC.

I was getting rid of it anyway so I removed the converter, gutted it out completely which took about three hours and a cutting torch, reinstalled it and it didn't make a bit of difference.

I never did discover the problem but think it was probably due to the fuel delivery system other than the oxygen sensor, pump or filter both of which I had replaced before performing major surgery on the converter.

If the car ran passably before the installation of the new intake manifold, I'd definitely review that before anything else.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:27 AM

01 - 04 3.8's have a issue with running not rich but just abit rich during acceleration and causing over time the cat gets to much fuel and clogs.

just a common issue but it would all depend on acceleration done in the life of the vehicle. just a observation of mine and it would be apparent between 60k and 120k mostly but i could imagine i could be wrong.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The factory warranties the catalytic converters for (I believe) 110,000 miles and 10 years, which ever comes first. They are a KNOWN problem. I replaced mine on my '01 at '83,000, and again 2 months later when the insides broke and rattled on the NAPA replacement. Hi-flow cat's tend to throw P0420 codes for inneficiency, but for a few bucks you can put a sim' plug in it and it'll work fine. Assuming that's your problem, I'd eliminate the U-bend pipe, and put in a hi-flow cat with a down pipe from ZZPerformace and be done with it, ASSUMING that is it.
It's an easy check to have a tech' do a pressure check on your system. About $35.
Of course, it COULD be something else, as you've done some surgery to the top end.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 AM

Thanx a lot guys...I towed the car home then noticed the intake and repaired it. Car wouldn't start b4 the new intake, now starts and idles great, just when I hit the gas does is hesitate, throws no codes and the exaust is very hot, is that normal?, I'm also going to reinstall the intake as there still seems to be a leak somewhere, or a sensor may meed to be replaced,??,? But why would the car stall when I take the oil cap off, too much vacume

Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 AM

Does anybody know where the pcv valve is please

Old 10-04-2009, 11:19 AM

Corrado y not post some pics of your car, and some under the hood. Then describe in detail your repair to the top end. Honestly there is not enough information being given to indicate what could be the issue.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:39 PM

corroad
Where was the hole in the manifold? I am assuming you are talking about the upper manifold? I had both of my manifolds off my 2003 a couple months ago. There is a lot of stuff to hook up you could of easily missed something. Cant explain why car dies when oil cap is removed. Last year my catalytic convertor failed. My symtoms were no power engine would not accelerate. I never got a check engine light either. The car was 6 years old with somethere in the 75K range and Chevy did replace it under warranty.

Quick Reply: 01 ss wont accelerate