Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car shakes at speeds under 60mph, and when turning right. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Exclamation Car shakes at speeds under 60mph, and when turning right. Help please.

Hello,

Just purchased a 2000 Monte Carlo SS . We have an issue with the car having a "shake" (right to left, not up and down) when under 60mph and/or turning to the right. The "shake" however is NOT in the steering wheel, it is felt in your seat and on the floor. I did happen to notice the other day that when I came to a straight stretch of road, when I let off the gas the shake dissipated greatly to almost not existant while cruising.

We have thus far taken the car and had the front tires balanced and the issue is still there. I did notice that the rotors look really thick and seem to set on the threads of the lugs as well as setting offset of the lug?

The car drives like a dream and shifts well without hesitation and there is no service engine light of any kind on. No mechanical issues other then this shake. What could this be and has anyone experienced this also.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a tie rod, ball joint or wheel bearing (possible all three). Is there a noise that goes along with this?
If you get a noise when tiltying/turning the wheel to the right, it's the left wheel bearing.

Those are my first guesses (I lean on the wheel bearing, and if it is, it sounds like it's really bad).

Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Question More info...

Thank you for the responses thus far. I should have elaborated a little more on the "shaking/vibrating" issues. As stated the issue is not felt in the steering wheel nor does it actually "move" the car. It is something that can be felt by all passengers in their seats and in thier feet. There is no real noise heard, no loud grinding, no popping or snapping. The car drives really quietly. Nothing heard when turning either, just the "shaking/vibrating." The previous owner said something about a sensor maybe within the transmission, but I do not believe it is that. The car has no issues shifting whatsoever and there is no service light indicating so. Thank you.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It still sounds like a wheel bearing to me most likely a rear one thats why your not feeling it in the steering wheel.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Question

Checked the wheel bearings after driving about 20 miles. Neither the front nor the rear wheel assemblies were hot, leading me to believe it is not the wheel bearings. Thank you once again for your inputs, any more suggestions are appreciated.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Doesn't matter if they were hot. Is there play in the wheel where there shouldn't be?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Question

Not a bit of play in the wheel. Actually the steering is spot on and solid. Hands free the steering does not even shake. Leaning to wrong rotors on front, axel needing changed, or broken belt in a tire, maybe motor mounts?

-I wonder if the SS and the LS use the same rotors, and if not, maybe when changed the wrong ones were purchased (LS.) -

No noise, not popping, no rubbing, no grinding, and no play in the wheel. Thanks once again for all your input.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not play in the steering wheel. Play in the tire. If you jack the car off the ground can you move the tire up/down or left/right with your hands? That's a good indicator if the bearings are going, or the whole hub assembly itself is getting worn.

SS and LS have the same brakes.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Exclamation

One more thing, checked tie rod, not them either, they are fine.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Question

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Not play in the steering wheel. Play in the tire. If you jack the car off the ground can you move the tire up/down or left/right with your hands? That's a good indicator if the bearings are going, or the whole hub assembly itself is getting worn.

SS and LS have the same brakes.

Thanks for the info on the brake assembly "LS - SS". I will check out the tires this evening. Once again thanks.

Quick Reply: Car shakes at speeds under 60mph, and when turning right. Help please.