Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Lowering springs 06ss

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:44 AM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
We'll get plenty of pictures during the day of the Meet & Greet. I've always got my camera with me at stuff like that.

Have you noticed any rubbing so far?

Regarding the wheel gap, here's a recent pic of mine to compare. I can say mine also appears to have slightly more gap in the front, although when I say slightly I mean barely. I think the front wheel arch may be slightly higher than the rears, or the design of the car makes it appear to be that way. Another thing to consider is weight in the rear, i.e. subs in the trunk. That added weight can lower the rear depending on exactly what's back there. I've got one 12" sub in the trunk (probably around 80 lbs.) but even that hasn't seemed to effect it much. The springs will also settle, or seat, over the first few months.

Haven't noticed any rubbing so far but I have a feeling it may.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Slugger088
Haven't noticed any rubbing so far but I have a feeling it may.
The Bilstein's are a very solid, stout, high quality strut so you just might be okay. The only time you might have an issue is with rear seat passengers, heavy cargo in the trunk, and/or hard accelerations. I don't have that issue with the stock wheels but I'm curious to hear what you have to say over time because it would be nice to know if I ever decide to go to larger aftermarket wheels. So, keep me updated. Seeing it in person at the Meet in May will give me a way better idea as well.

You might want to post your after pics in a new thread in the Sights 'N Sounds section.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member

The Bilstein's are a very solid, stout, high quality strut so you just might be okay. The only time you might have an issue is with rear seat passengers, heavy cargo in the trunk, and/or hard accelerations. I don't have that issue with the stock wheels but I'm curious to hear what you have to say over time because it would be nice to know if I ever decide to go to larger aftermarket wheels. So, keep me updated. Seeing it in person at the Meet in May will give me a way better idea as well.

You might want to post your after pics in a new thread in the Sights 'N Sounds section.

Ill do that once I get some more taken.

And yea, I just have a feeling it may rub. I thought I may have heard something the other night but didn't hear it again. If it does my mechanic said it wouldn't be a big deal to fix anyway. I already knew it was a risk before doing it.

I may even go back to 18s one day if I can find some nice camaro wheels.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Exclamation

Like I said in our PM (I'll post here so all can see also) a larger diameter wheel shouldn't be a problem because the tire diameter is the same, just a narrower sidewall. The only thing you would possibly have an issue with is if your aftermarket wheels are wider than the stock wheels. I am running the stock SS rims (stock wheels are 7.5" wide) on mine with the lowered setup and the tire sidewalls clear the fender lip by about 3/8". Rubbing is more of a concern in the rear.
whats the severity of the rubbing you experience in the rear...im running aftermarket 17s which are 7.5 wide as well and i wanted to know before i get coils this weekend...tires are 235/55-17

Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by brandonmac000
whats the severity of the rubbing you experience in the rear...im running aftermarket 17s which are 7.5 wide as well and i wanted to know before i get coils this weekend...tires are 235/55-17
I'm not rubbing at all with my setup; that's running the 18" (7.5" wide) stock SS wheels. The tire sidewall clears the upper arch of the quarter panel lip by about 3/8". You'll be fine running your 7.5" wide aftermarket wheels as long as they clear the lip, which they should.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM

thanks