Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Lowering springs 06ss

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Lowering springs 06ss

Hey there,

Can anyone give me some options I have for lowering springs on this car?
I would like to get an eihbach pro kit but it looks to be discontinued. Anyone know where I can get my hands on this product or recommend me something else. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:16 PM

i am in the same boat i am looking for the same thing but i havent found some thing i like i just would like a inch shorter stance my self. i lowered my mustang a inch and a half and silverado 3 inches. the silverado my gosh it helped out with the gas miles due to the lower center of gravity. but i am looking for the same for my 7th gen

Old 10-27-2012, 05:02 PM

I bought mine on ebay. I would recommend changing struts because my car was bouncey after putting on the springs. I put Bilsteins on mine but KYB's are a cheaper option.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo
I bought mine on ebay. I would recommend changing struts because my car was bouncey after putting on the springs. I put Bilsteins on mine but KYB's are a cheaper option.
Yea I may do struts too. Those kybs were for your 03 though,what's best for a 06? And anyone have any opinions on SSc springs?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Matt (06MistreSS) lowerd his looks good I've seen his car in person. Check with him. He also said new struts are better when lowering your car

Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 AM

Hey slugger try sprint performance, I'm very happy with their lowering springs.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by gothkid
Hey slugger try sprint performance, I'm very happy with their lowering springs.

They dont have anything for 00+

Most springs from what ive heard are pretty universal between 6th and 7th gens, struts are a bit different however. Blisteins is a good route to look for struts though.

You could also find some comp-g struts from the newer grand prixs.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Like Tadd mentioned, I just lowered mine. I made a thread back when I did the work so check that out here > https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ti...istress-37750/. There should be a lot of helpful information and pictures (work progress and final result) in that.

For one, the Eibach Pro-Kit never made it past development for the 06+ Monte Carlo; only the 00-05 which is now discontinued. Do not use a 00-05 Pro-Kit on an 06+. You'd think they would work, as I did at first, because the struts are the same part number between the 00-05 and 06+, but I've heard of guys doing that and breaking springs. Apparently the additional 150 lbs. of the 06+ is enough to be an issue.

It took me forever to decide on a spring. I even looked into having a set custom made because I was unsure of drop heights from what little is currently available on the market for these cars. I finally went with Canuck Motorsports (SSC) lowering springs, they're the same company, and so far like the ride and amount of drop I got out of them. CM's cost me $180, including shipping, and lower the front 1.8" and the rear 1.5". There's also Vogtland lowering springs which lower both the front and rear 1.3".

I would highly recommend going with new struts when you lower the car. Mine were ready for replacement anyway so I got new ones. I went with Bilstein HD's and would recommend them. They're firm and don't bounce, or pogo, at all like you'll get with old, worn out or cheap struts. KYB's are also an option but the AGX isn't available for the 06+ Monte.

Overall, I can say I really like the ride of the Bilstein's paired with the CM lowering springs and the amount of drop I got with the springs. The stance is amazing. The ride is not overly firm but you definitely feel more planted on the road. I've noticed less torque steer, body roll in general, as well as better launches due to less rear end squat during hard acceleration. I can say I was hesitant about going with the CM's at first because I had heard of fender rub issues with the amount of drop from them. However, I'm running the stock wheels and do not have an issue with any fender rub, nor have I had an issue with bottoming out. You can run into fender rub issues with aftermarket wheels wider than the stocks. Obviously you have to be more aware of things with a lowered car, i.e. parking lots and curbs etc.

Like I said, check out my thread. I'll be glad to help with any questions or concerns.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM

10 Year Member

I think I am going to order the ssc springs along with new bilstien hd struts like 06mistress has.

Does anyone know if I'll have any rubbing issues with my summer tires if I lower it??? I have 255 35 20's all around and I have no issues right now with car at factory height. I would not want to lower it if I'll have to roll fenders or anything like that..

Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Like I said in our PM (I'll post here so all can see also) a larger diameter wheel shouldn't be a problem because the tire diameter is the same, just a narrower sidewall. The only thing you would possibly have an issue with is if your aftermarket wheels are wider than the stock wheels. I am running the stock SS rims (stock wheels are 7.5" wide) on mine with the lowered setup and the tire sidewalls clear the fender lip by about 3/8". Rubbing is more of a concern in the rear.

Quick Reply: Lowering springs 06ss