Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Lowering Kit

Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Lowering Kit

Good morning all... It is now time to replace my stock suspension at 190,000km (130,000miles)... It has performed admirably, but the rear end is starting to go soft... I am now presented with the option of installing a lowering kit (will be replacing all 4 struts & springs)... To lower her is an additional $300-$400 ($700.00 approx. for stock), I do not have the facilities or knowledge to DIY... I have looked around this thread and didn't find the info I was looking for (hopefully I'm not blind)... My question is, should I lower the car (by how much?)... What are the cons of this action?... Any suggestions would be extremely helpful... Thanks,

Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Here is the thread I made about lowering my monte...got lots of info in it! ZZP sells a combo pack thing that has their SSC Springs (which lower 1 in rear & 1.1 back), KYB GR2 struts, and anti-pogo washers all in one set for about 800. I can't find it atm but once I get on my laptop later I will post the link up here unless mod Mike still has it somewhere bcuz I believe it was in one of his posts that I got the link from a while ago. I wanted to get the springs that lower 1.4 front & 1 rear but I drive my monte everyday & that would probably be pushing it. Is yours a DD?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
Here is the thread I made about lowering my monte...got lots of info in it! ZZP sells a combo pack thing that has their SSC Springs (which lower 1 in rear & 1.1 back), KYB GR2 struts, and anti-pogo washers all in one set for about 800. I can't find it atm but once I get on my laptop later I will post the link up here unless mod Mike still has it somewhere bcuz I believe it was in one of his posts that I got the link from a while ago. I wanted to get the springs that lower 1.4 front & 1 rear but I drive my monte everyday & that would probably be pushing it. Is yours a DD?
Thanks for the info Britany, it is much appreciated... I'll check out zzp and the thread... Mine is a DD, too much pleasure lost to parkit... lol...

Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM

If you get snowfall and drive it daily I wouldn't. You have the high sport, which has the extensions also, lower it even more and get ready to scream when you hear the extensions rub against the road/ice/snow.

... to me, that's a nightmare. Mine stock, already scratches at times, with the snow built up on our parking lot.

But its' up to you.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
If you get snowfall and drive it daily I wouldn't. You have the high sport, which has the extensions also, lower it even more and get ready to scream when you hear the extensions rub against the road/ice/snow.

... to me, that's a nightmare. Mine stock, already scratches at times, with the snow built up on our parking lot.

But its' up to you.
Good point... We do get a fair amount of snow up here... If I do not go the Lowering root, what would you suggest as a beefed up stock set-up?... I really do want to have a good firm ride that would restrict roll & bounce... Thanks,

Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM

If you lower save your self some money. Do not buy the GR2...you will without a doubt love the AGX's so much better. I have riden on the both struts in Wbodies that are lowered and the AGX's were so much better in my opinion. You could lower only an inch using SSC or Vogtlands. Also a company called Cunuck autosports or something like that makes a lowering spring that is similar to the SSC's and lower the same as well.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 7801MonteMan
If you lower save your self some money. Do not buy the GR2...you will without a doubt love the AGX's so much better. I have riden on the both struts in Wbodies that are lowered and the AGX's were so much better in my opinion. You could lower only an inch using SSC or Vogtlands. Also a company called Cunuck autosports or something like that makes a lowering spring that is similar to the SSC's and lower the same as well.
Thanks, I'll look into them... Really appreciated,