Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

lowering

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

short d-bones are crap! never used them but heard they doesn't help. x2 on the spacers. another way that help with the vibration is to turn the rubber inside the upper mount. i don't remember if mine still vibrate or not. i use intense poly mounts in mine.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM

the only thing i noticed that the 7th gen and the 6th gens differ is the headlights and grill. also the engine packedge and lack of a few things like headers being able to get a better tune for the pcm as in speed limiter but not much changed i wish that there were the 3.8 all the way to the 7th gen what i mean the 7th gen having the 3800 and 3900. but i dont mind the 3500 vvt.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
short d-bones are crap! never used them but heard they doesn't help. x2 on the spacers. another way that help with the vibration is to turn the rubber inside the upper mount. i don't remember if mine still vibrate or not. i use intense poly mounts in mine.
I third this point! The shorten dog bones are the cheaper easier half fix. With the shorten dog bones I thought I heard your putting more twist than not on the axles. Don't quote me on that. I have to find the post where I read this. I am getting ready to put my order to a vendor to getting my strut mounts and motor/trans spacer.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by monte07
the only thing i noticed that the 7th gen and the 6th gens differ is the headlights and grill. also the engine packedge and lack of a few things like headers being able to get a better tune for the pcm as in speed limiter but not much changed i wish that there were the 3.8 all the way to the 7th gen what i mean the 7th gen having the 3800 and 3900. but i dont mind the 3500 vvt.
Hm... Besides what you said... The hood, front fenders, bumpers, tail lights, fog lights, and pretty much everything inside the car besides the door panels were also changed.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Spoiler

Old 02-12-2010, 12:47 PM

stiffer dog bones
I don't believe there are any stiffer dog bones. There is a company that makes the billet ones, but they're pricey- and I doubt they're significantly stiffer than the stock ones.

If you want to firm up the engine movement, you need to look into doing poly mounts for the ends of the dogbones. Replacing the square front ones makes a pretty big difference, replacing the round rear ones makes a much smaller difference (since they're solid rubber to start with).

Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 PM

poly > solid rubber, regardless. Just don't forget to use lube.
The only thing stiffer is Delrin, but it has its flaws/downsides.
My buddy made me a set of custom-made inner tie rod bushings out of Delrin.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I don't believe there are any stiffer dog bones. There is a company that makes the billet ones, but they're pricey- and I doubt they're significantly stiffer than the stock ones.

If you want to firm up the engine movement, you need to look into doing poly mounts for the ends of the dogbones. Replacing the square front ones makes a pretty big difference, replacing the round rear ones makes a much smaller difference (since they're solid rubber to start with).
the billet dog bones are only for look i have one. the square poly rubber zzp and other vendeor sell doesn't help much either i thought it got worst. here's what i did that seem to help little bit. turn the black rubber on the upper mount (radiator support) 90*.

ther's a guy on clubgp and zzp selling the transmission and motor mount metal square piece that is suppose to help with vibration on lower cars. i'll find the link later.

here is something to think about if you gonna lower your car you will feel every bumps on the road and the ride will not be as smooth as stock. also if you might have to roll the fender lip if you go with wider tires.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
ther's a guy on clubgp and zzp selling the transmission and motor mount metal square piece that is suppose to help with vibration on lower cars. i'll find the link later.

here is something to think about if you gonna lower your car you will feel every bumps on the road and the ride will not be as smooth as stock. also if you might have to roll the fender lip if you go with wider tires.
Drivers will feel more vibration from the engine whenever using solid motor/tranny mounts. That's the whole point! You stiffen everything up to help transfer more HP to the wheels. Anyone that will complain about added vibrations shouldn't think about adding performance mods. Period.

That's a good point you bring up about lowering, though! Anyone not wanting to sacrifice a little smoothness on the road shouldn't lower their car either. Especially since stiffer struts are also recommended for that setup.

This is the difference between owning a "luxury performance" vehicle and a "sport performance" vehicle. If you want to cruise quietly and enjoy your ride, keep the car stock or buy a Caddy. If you want to play, then modify your Monte and don't complain. Then drive a modded F-body and really see what rough/loud feels like.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member

so what should i do for better handling? smaller tires??

Quick Reply: lowering