Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

flat tire? or bigger problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Its not as bad as I was picturing. Alot of it seems to be sheetmetal damage. The rail may have been damaged in the accident as well, but it doesnt look like it took TOO hard of a hit. The suspension doesnt seem like it took too much of a hit either, but if the rail was pushed back at all it could have affected your suspension geometry. Did they do an alignment on the car after the work was done? If not, a front end alignment might help with the leaning you described. At the very least it would let you know if your car is within spec or not. Thats if they didnt do an alignment already. If they did and they got everything within spec then I dont know what to tell you. I dont know what the sound you are describing is either, or whether it was caused by the accident or is unrelated.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i can't belive this hasn't been brought up ... sounds kind of like a cv axle to me

Old 01-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

cv joint??

Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mrl390
Its not as bad as I was picturing. Alot of it seems to be sheetmetal damage. The rail may have been damaged in the accident as well, but it doesnt look like it took TOO hard of a hit. The suspension doesnt seem like it took too much of a hit either, but if the rail was pushed back at all it could have affected your suspension geometry. Did they do an alignment on the car after the work was done? If not, a front end alignment might help with the leaning you described. At the very least it would let you know if your car is within spec or not. Thats if they didnt do an alignment already. If they did and they got everything within spec then I dont know what to tell you. I dont know what the sound you are describing is either, or whether it was caused by the accident or is unrelated.
that is what it migth be, because my mom car does the same thing, the wheel shifting thing, but her car has not been in accidents. i hope it is just the alighnment. if not i will check the suspesion at a shop. thz.

oh, yea the sheet metalthing is what the guy at the shop said also,

Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
i can't belive this hasn't been brought up ... sounds kind of like a cv axle to me

cv axle? is that located under the car, between the susension, and is bolted to the sub frame of the car to keep the suspension in place?

Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

you said when you turn left the noise goes away, that means the hub and possibly the the c.v shaft is gone on the right hand side.

the frames on these car's bend very easily, so if it was hit pretty decently you can pretty much guarentee there's frame damage, did the air bags go off??

i would look into control arms, c.v shafts and hubs, and frame damage

Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by wiz kidd
you said when you turn left the noise goes away, that means the hub and possibly the the c.v shaft is gone on the right hand side.

the frames on these car's bend very easily, so if it was hit pretty decently you can pretty much guarentee there's frame damage, did the air bags go off??

i would look into control arms, c.v shafts and hubs, and frame damage

when i make a soft turn to the rigth the "rooooommmm" type noise gets louder, but as i drift or turn to the left the the sounds subsides.

where exactly is the cv shaft located? somewhere in the wheel well?? no, the airbags did not go off, i just hit the sign and the car bounced over it. and i beleive i know where the control arms are.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The CV joint is on the axel. The axel is what transfers power from the transmission to each wheel. The CV joint will have a rubber boot over it and will be a little bigger than your fist.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

ok, if you take your wheel off you will see your brakes, if you take the rotors off you will see the hub (will have 5 bolts sticking out, thats the hub) if you take the center nut off that, and slide that off, what you slide the hub off of is the cv shaft, the joints themselves in the cv shaft will have boots over them, if you take the cv shaft out and it feels slopy when it moves around its no good, they do go on these cars sometimes, not as often as hubs. but if your saying the noise goes away when you go left it means its your righthand side hub that is causing the problem, and from the noise your describing it sounds like a hub, if it was a cv shaft it would be there constantly, it would not go away

if its hubs that are causing the problem they're not that big of a deal, i know what they're worth in canada, i would only assume they're cheaper in the states, but up here you can get a top of the line one for about 160ish and a whitebox (offshore) one for around 100

hopefully this helps

Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

yeah to me it deff sounds like its somewhere in your suspension & id deff start at the cv & all that & the cradle that holds everything together is aluminum so wouldnt be hard to mess it up in an accident

Quick Reply: flat tire? or bigger problem?