Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Few problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Few problems

newb here i have a 99 z34, my car jerks alot when accelerating during stop and go traffic, also when i press the brakes i can hear the clicking sound when the i guess abs kicks in and the car shudders a little bit.

i was thinking about getting some new struts and some new brakes maybe some performance parts. was hoping someone can point me in the right direction on wut to fix and replace first before thinking about upgrading the hp's.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't have an absolute "here's where your issue is", but it does sound like you may want to look at the suspension. I'd start with the front.

Make sure the bushings in the control arms are good and not popped out. Make sure the front sway bar and the linkages to the sway bar are ok (they sometimes break).
Jack the car up and try wiggling the wheels top-bottom and then left-right and I like to do diagonally as well. If you have play in ALL directions, you have failing wheel bearings (and I think on your car the speed sensor is part of the wheel bearing, that failure could account for ABS triggering without cause).
When wiggling left-right, watch your tie rod for play.

Suspensions wear out of time, but if you catch it before something breaks, you can be in good shape.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 AM

Well i was looking to replace the suspension and struts should i go with Oem parts or is there a better place to look?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you say your car jerks on accelleration, does the engine sound like it's sputtering or dying? If so, it could be something as simple as condensation in your gas or a dirty fuel filter.

As far as buying oem suspension parts, I would only get suspension parts done at a dealership if the price was right. But if you go to the dealer, you're going to get a completely stock system at a premium price. If I were you, I'd check out some of the local shops and tell them what you'd like your suspension to feel/perform like. And they should be able to give you suggestions.

Currently, I still have the factory stuff on mine because it hasn't worn out yet. And I didn't have the extra money to start modding mine yet. But there are many members here who have. They should be able to tell you what they went with.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Well i have two problems with the acceleration, one is l tryin to make quick turn left or right with the car stopped the car will shudder violently then go happens once or twice a week. another problem is stop and go traffic where it jerks when it going into the next gear and then jerk again when going back down a gear. I guess engine sounds like it struggling to shift and that when the jerk happens.

the car is getting older so i figured i need to start replacing some parts since florida heat has been wearing it down. probably need to replace all the rubber and hoses since it look like there degrading as well but i want fix all the internal and mechanical problems first.

im a beginner i've never really worked with cars before so any help would be appreciated

Last edited by BlownUptoHigh; 03-10-2011 at 08:40 AM.