Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

having a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Default having a few problems

have a 2000 SS and im having a few problems, which have seemed to all happen at once. it has just over 100,000 miles. have only put on around 10,000 since buying it used. had dual exhaust and k&n cold air when i got it.

first of all, my passengers side window has issues going up from the pass side, rarely it works fine, but most of the time if you push the button all the way it wont go up and you gotta kinda get it in the middle. it works fine from the drivers side. also cig lighter jack doesnt work.

i was having a problem with my traction control/abs, which seems to have fixed its self? the "service traction system" words would come up on the screen and my abs light would be on. for about 3 days they would randomly go on, and randomly fix its self. havent had a problem with it in a couple months tho.

lastly, i think i may have a problem with my transmission. this just started 2 days ago. from a stop, while in drive, sometimes when i hit the gas it feels like its trying to catch but not moving.... kinda feels like the wheels are peeling out just a bit before i start moving, without them actually peeling out. if that makes any sense. i was attributing this all to the same prob i was having with traction control, but now im thinking it my be my transmission. the reason being, just yesterday i took off from a stop and got into it to whre i was still almost flooring it when it shifted from 1st to 2nd. instead of shifting smoothly, it jerked about 3 or 4 times trying to shift and revving up and down. it was kinda violent feeling. when i ease on the gas and drive conservatively, everything is fine. this is nerve racking tho and im worried i got some major issue with the tranny.

any thoughts are appreciated. hopefully i explained that well enough..... do any of these seem related? also, i dont drive it hard, and it was supposedly fully serviced before i bought it with no problems...

Old 07-02-2009, 04:29 AM

check the fuses for the cig lighter? the pass window needs a regulator (up + down button). i had the abs/trac light on before with a 98 grad prix, rf sensor wire came off in the hub, but my lights stayed on. might be a good starting point.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Passenger window definitely sounds like the switch is going bad, if it works on the driver's side.

Traction Control / ABS lights are 9 times out of 10 one of your wheel hub assemblies going bad. They hold all the sensors / wheel bearings and it's a sealed off assembly that will need to be completely replaced. If you get the lights to come back on, get someone to read the code to which assembly it is. Usually one of the speed sensors go bad, and it tells your car that one tire isn't moving.

Cigarette Lighter, I would check the fuse, or just get a replacement one for $5.

The transmission problem could very well be a transmission problem. They usually start to occur around 120,000 miles. A few of us have had them go. I just did a full replacement because mine was shot and it was cheaper than a rebuild. I would check your tranny fluid, see if it's burnt / smells. If so get it flushed. But it could very well be your pressure solenoid for 1-2 or even your torque converter.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:21 PM

also i forgot to add that sometimes its hard to shift from park to drive or reverse. usually in the morning when i get off work and the car has been outside. i notice when it stays in the garage its not as bad or i dont notice at all. when it warms up it seems to go away aswell. can be very sticky tho and noisy.