Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Cupped tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cupped tires?

So, my wife takes our 99 in to have the oil changed and have the tires rotated, and the shop says they can't rotate the rear tires because they are "cupped" WTF? What does this mean and what caused/causes something like this to happen?

I've never heard of this before, always rotate tires every second oil change,and would like to know what to look for as far as problems go.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Default RE: Cupped tires?

[align=center]Hi Mark,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]How many miles on your wife's vehicle.[/align][align=center]Has she hit many potholes ? [/align][align=center]
Cupping. Rounded, scalloped dips near one edge of the tread indicate severely worn suspension components. Go to your mechanic and have the suspension inspected immediately.[/align][align=center]Below link has more information on tires.[/align][align=center]Good Luck
[/align]
[align=center]Click below link for more infor[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_77655/tm.htm[/align]

Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 AM

Additional Infor
Cupping below article/pic
[:-]
[align=center]Tire Inflation
Proper tire inflation is a key ingredient in driving safety and long tire life. It is wise to check your tire's inflation at least once a month with an accurate tire pressure gauge. Continuous loss of inflation pressure is an indication of a possible tire/wheel assembly problem; consult your tire professional immediately if you encounter this situation. Be sure to check the pressure while the tires are cold, and have not been used recently. If you drive even a mile this will cause your tire pressure to increase and give you an inaccurate reading.
[/b]Back to the top[/align]

Checking Tire Tread
There are two popular ways for checking to see if there is enough tread on your tires. All passenger, light truck, and medium commercial tires have tread wear indicator bars molded into the tread. These bars are located at the bottoms of the tread grooves in several locations around the tire, and when the tire is worn to the point where any of them become visibly flush with the adjacent tread ribs, it is time to replace the tire. Another easy way to check that your tire has enough tread remaining is to place a penny in the tread with Lincoln's head upside down and facing you. if you can see the top of Lincoln's head it is time to replace your tires.

Wear On Both Edges: UNDER INFLATION[/b] If a tire looks like this, it may be under inflated. The worst enemy a tire can have is too little inflation pressure. Under inflation reduces treadlife through increased tread wear on the outside edges (or shoulders) of the tire. It also generates excessive heat which reduces tire durability. Finally, it reduces fuel economy through increased rolling resistance (soft tires makes your vehicle work harder). Check your tires regularly for proper inflation. Abnormal tire wear may also be due to misalignment or mechanical problems. Many [/b]Goodyear retailers can provide expert diagnosis and repair.

[align=center][/align]

Wear In Center: OVER INFLATION When a tire is over inflated, the center of the tread bears most of the load and wears out faster than the outside edges. Uneven wear reduces the useful life of a tire. Check your tires regularly for proper inflation. Abnormal tire wear may also be due to misalignment or mechanical problems. Goodyear retailers can provide expert diagnosis and repair.

[/b]
[align=center][/align]

Cups or Dips in the tread: WORN PARTSCupping (also called dipping or scalloping) is most common on front tires, though rear tires can cup as well. It may be a sign that wheels are out of balance or that suspension or steering system parts are worn out. Many Goodyear retailers can provide expert diagnosis and repair.

[/b]
[align=center][/align]

Sawtooth edges: MISALIGNMENT Do the edges of the tread take on a sawtooth or feathered appearance? This is caused by erratic scrubbing against the road. The solution is toe-in or toe-out alignment correction.

[/b]
[align=center][/align][align=center][b]Proper tread depth is essential for proper tire performance. If you notice a loss or change in wet traction, you may not have enoug

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks, Space,

We have about 83,000 on it now. As for her hitting potholes, you're kidding right?

First we live in Ohio, pothole capital of the world, second, this is a woman who "accidently" slid in to a curb and put a crack in the rim, which produced a slow air leak. I found out about it when i took it to the tire shop to have it checked out, and the guy asked me what I hit. LOL.
I'm thinking suspension problems, but I'll wait until winter is over before I fix it and put new tires on it. Hopefully in the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 PM

ever had a 4 wheel alignment done on it? if not, its time. when u get your new tires have it done. should fix the problem. i doubt u have suspension parts damaged. possible wear on some parts yeah. repalcement of some of the suspension components,possibly,but its gonna be the usual tie rod end more than likely.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 PM

cupping is from struts being worn out. tires are bouncing on the road after hitting a bump.