Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

check your wheel weights

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Perhaps the best way to begin is to discuss the lack of balance. When a tire is mounted onto the wheel, two slightly imperfect units are joined to form an assembly weighing forty pounds (this is the average for cars). The chance of this assembly having absolutely precise weight distribution about its radial and lateral centers is virtually impossible. Remember that all it takes is half an ounce of uneven weight distribution for a vibration to be felt.

The static imbalance creates a hop or vertical vibration. The dynamic imbalance creates a side-to-side or wobbling vibration. Most assemblies have both types of imbalance, and require dynamic balancing (commonly referred to as spin balancing) to create even weight distribution. The balancing system directs a technician to place counter weights on the rim's outer surface to offset the imbalance. When the balancing system tests for virtually perfect weight distribution, the assembly is in balance and will not vibrate. Your tires will ride smoothly and wear evenly with regard to balance.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:56 PM

sure enough saw this thread last week.checked and missing wheel weight on back tire.i thought i had little shimy.so need to go have it rebalanced
great advice
dominic
GO PENS

Old 05-23-2009, 10:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had lots of trouble with sticky wheel weights until I figured it out. They would fall off when washing wheels. Not all sticky weights are created equal. Insist on 3M sticky weights - find a place that uses them. They are much more expensive, which is why most places don't use them.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by dominic
sure enough saw this thread last week.checked and missing wheel weight on back tire.i thought i had little shimy.so need to go have it rebalanced
great advice
dominic
GO PENS
glad i could help dominic! that's why i posted this thread so other MCF members wouldn't have the same bad luck i did. from now on i'm going to make it a habit to check my weights frequently.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the tip, my wheel has a mark for a weight so maybe one of them did fall off. but im not sure since i had the tires rebalanced last year.