Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

check your wheel weights

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Default check your wheel weights

this last friday i had a flat on the freeway on the way home (i know, great way to start the weekend) so i stopped to put the doughnut spare on and i was on my way. it turns out the tire was junk because a couple of the sticky weights fell of the rim and threw it out of balance. i didn't notice it til it was too late obviously and the inside part of the tire wore down to the wires and it wore down a previously plugged hole from about a year ago.

just a warning for everyone, during periodic maintenance, check your wheel weights and make sure they are still there so the same thing doesn't happen to you! some of you probably do this already, but i've never had this problem until now i guess. if it does happen you will probably notice a change in driveability, which i did, but it was very subtle, so i didn't pay much attention to it. $50 later, i got a used tire put on to get me by until i get a whole new set of 4 tires (hopefully i can get 5k or 10k more out of them, they have 40k now). on the bright side, i will keep the full sized spare if any road hazards occur again in the future. happy driving!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:44 AM

did you have any vibration ?i just got my new rims and on take off or when going fast i get a vibration? could it be a bad balance?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 PM

yeah i had some vibration at low speeds now that i think about it. i don't think it was a bad balance but the sticky weights just fell off the inside of my rim. i could see the sticky residue left behind from when they fell off.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's the joys of the wheel weights on the inside of the wheel well. They look a lot nicer and don't ruin the outside of your rim (mine is completely shot from all the years of the wheel weights on the lip) but if you don't keep your wheels absolutely clean, the brake dust / residue just eats away at the glue and gives you troubles.

My dad and I try to really get behind the wheels and clean out the whole rim at least once a month really good to try and prevent this from occurring.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the tip! I have never had my wheel weights fall off, but I will definitely check them periodically.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 PM

When I had my new tires installed in January, they used the clamp on style weights.
Those won't come unglued, but so far three of the tires sprung leaks where the weight clips onto the wheel.
What kind of place puts clip on wheel weights onto chrome rims?

-Riggs.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Specify that you don't want those when you go to a place and if they put them on you will want them taken off and the wheel to be replaced if you see ANY sort of damage.

We always specify that we do not want the out weights from now on, after seeing all the damage to my stock rims. Imagine if they were nice wheels on my car. I'd have a fit.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

i feel dumb asking this but what are wheel weights.
i just never herd this term b4

Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

ok thanks thats actually what i thought they were, i have seen them on my aftermarket rims, i know there is some on the one wheel that have fallen of all but like one and one of the other rims has one fallen off. i have not noticed any difference in vibrations and stuff.

What is there purpose for being there

Quick Reply: check your wheel weights